Chapter Nine

Ruby looked in the bathroom mirror, she'd changed her clothes but something still felt off- she'd refused to wear the silk again, instead settling for a light green t-shirt and khaki shorts.

It was something that felt like her but still, something was missing.

She sighed and sauntered into the bedroom, grabbing her bag and looking through it- her hand freezing as she felt the material of JJ's jacket.

Ruby didn't hesitate to put it on, curling up in a ball and letting his scent engulf her, tears filling her eyes from how much she missed him.

Rafe looked over at her, noticed the way the jacket practically took up her entire body- but most importantly he heard the quiet little sobs escaping her lips.

Part of him wanted to get on the bed with her- hold her but he shook his head, that definitely wasn't a good idea.

He watched as she pulled the hood up, closing her eyes and inhaling deeply, her features slightly softening.

Ruby grabbed her diary and the key, unlocking it and running her fingers over the pages- the diary had been a gift from JJ on her fourteenth birthday.

Thousands of memories were in these pages, heartbreak, pining, falling in love.. It was all there.

She sniffled and held the diary against her chest, willing herself to fall asleep- praying her dreams would be better than her reality.. at least in her dreams JJ could hold her.

*One month ago*

JJ and Ruby were going for a walk, they've only been here for two weeks and finally decided it was time to explore.

She flinched, hearing thunder rumbling in the distance, relaxing as he wrapped his arm around her waist and held her close.

The two were pretty far from the camp, quickly becoming drenched as the rain started to pour down.

But instead of running JJ held out his hand, smiling as Ruby didn't hesitate to place her hand in his.

" are you crazy?" She asked with a laugh as he pulled her in close, " maybe!" He said and twirled her around.

She landed in his arms again as he swayed them back and forth, gazing up at him in awe as the rain soaked them.

" I love you Romeo.." She said and leaned up on her tip toes, " I love you Juliet.." he said, tilting up her chin and connecting their lips.

Time seemed to stop, both of them loosing themselves in each other as they kissed slowly and passionately, savoring each movement of their lips against each other.

She couldn't ask for anything better than this.

*now*

The Pogues had made it to the wall, JJ not hesitating to climb up and over, urging everyone else to do the same.

His eyes scanned the area, looking for any sign of her and becoming frustrated when he didn't see anything, not one single clue.

He stared at the house, silently wondering if she was inside where she would be, it was a huge mansion- there's no way they could search every single room for her.

But all of them paused, hearing a beeping noise- it was quiet at first but then got progressively louder and more frequent.

" shit- it's a game cam" JJ muttered, reaching down and grabbing it- then suddenly it became a game of hot potato, everyone tossing it at each other until Pope had enough and grabbed it, scrambling to get it open.

" do you think it registered?" John B asked, feeling unease as everything was far too quiet.

Only he got his answer as he heard dogs barking and coming towards them, he didn't hesitate to take off running.

It was clear this plan had failed.