Chapter Twenty Three

Ruby crumpled the flier in her hand, angry and scared tears filling her eyes, why was her father so determined to ruin her life?

*One year ago*

Big John and John B were arguing, again, Ruby was currently holding an ice pack on a bruise that was forming on her cheek.

" no! I'm not letting you sell the Twinkie!" John B yelled, snatching the keys off the kitchen counter, " I'll buy you a new one! I just need the money-" Big John started, " the money? The money for what? This stupid fucking gold that doesn't even exist!" John B fired back.

" Ruby. Tell him that it's real." Big John said, both of them turning to look at her, " Dad.. you've been doing this for how many years? Maybe you need to accept that it's just a myth.." Ruby said quietly.

" God you're impossible.. you're just like your mother.." Big John murmured and John B visibly cringed.

" forgive me for not believing you dad. You disappear for weeks at a time. Leaving us with nothing while you're out chasing something that doesn't even exist!" Ruby yelled, throwing the ice pack down on the couch as she stood.

" godamnit Ruby! I'm sick of your shit! I can't handle you anymore." Big John said and both twins froze.

" dad.." John B said in a scared whisper, " you're done Ruby. I'm sending you away." Big John said and Ruby looked at him in disbelief, " dad-" Ruby tried.

" you're going to Kitty Hawk. You need to get your shit straight and act like a proper young lady." Big John said as he began packing his bag.

John B pulled Ruby close to him as they both walked out, " you're a shit father." John B growled as they got in the Twinkie.

Neither one of them looked back.

*Now*

Ruby wiped her tears away and looked over at the shed, seeing JJ inside and working on her dirtbike, they never had a chance to finish hers.

She took a deep breath and tossed the crumpled up flier into the fire pit before making her way over to him.

" you okay..?" JJ asked, " yea, I'm okay.." Ruby lied, she couldn't tell JJ she only had two weeks left, it would break him.

He nodded once and continued putting on the new chain, " Sage called.. apparently Sarah overheard Rafe on the phone with Ward.. the cross is gonna be coming to Wilmington tonight on a train." He said and she nodded, she didn't want to think about treasure anymore, it was sickening to her.

" one step closer to our dream baby" he said with a bright smile and she gave him a timid smile back, her heart pounding in her chest.

He would get their dream, but she wouldn't be apart of it.