Chapter Twenty Eight

When Ruby woke up JJ wasn't in the room, she frowned and stretched, her body sore in the best way from the night before.

She rubbed her eyes and put on one of JJ's shirts, going into the bathroom to clean up a little bit.

While she was rummaging through the bathroom drawers for some Tylenol her hand paused on her empty birth control pack- she hadn't been on it for over a month now.

Ruby laughed to herself and threw it away- there's no chance she'd be pregnant right? Her and JJ have had plenty of sex and she was still fine.

So she didn't think much of it and started herself a shower, she debated on asking JJ for protection or not but decided against it.

Later in the day she got a text from John B, he was finally home and wanted to meet up with everyone at the chateau. He said he had some important news.

So naturally Ruby took the opportunity to see her brother and convinced JJ to go with her.

The moment she saw her dad she froze, feeling like she couldn't breathe- automatically hiding herself behind JJ.

It didn't help that John B had a look of guilt, he was hiding something and he was clearly afraid.

No one else knew those signs except for JJ and Ruby.

" Sae.. do me a favor, keep an eye on him yea?" Ruby asked, sitting down in the grass, "yea.. yea I will.." Sage said and watched as John B came back over.

Ruby tuned out the conversation, she knew her brother was lying anyway and it was making her feel sick. She knew she couldn't help him.

She took a deep breath as Pope and Kiara left, going over to John B and leaning against the tree.

" JB.." she said quietly, " I'm sorry.." he murmured and Ruby paused, " what.. what are you sorry for..?" She asked and he looked down, kicking at the grass.

" I know dads sending you away.. and- and maybe this is for the better Rue. You've been through so much" John B rushed out in Ruby looked at him in horror, " no.. no!" She choked out.

He went to reach for her and she recoiled, tears filling her eyes, " don't hate me.. please Rue you have to understand!" He pled and she shook her head, " you're unbelievable.." she scoffed and sniffled.

John B watched her run over to JJ, cursing himself for losing the one person he knew would always be on his side.

He sighed and looked over at Sage, she had a disgusted look on her face and he knew it that moment she had heard the entire conversation.

" you knew? You knew and you're just letting him send her away!" Sage yelled, "Sage, Sage please you have to understand I just want her safe" John B begged and she scoffed.

" she is safe. She's safe with us and she's safe with JJ." Sage said and John B looked down, he didn't say a word.

" who are you anymore..? You're not the guy I fell in love with.." Sage whispered, "you have to understand I'm just doing what's best.." John B said and looked at her.

Sage looked at him and shook her head, " call me when you don't let your dad rule your entire life. This isn't you." She said and John B watched her walk away.

He kept his eyes on her as a few tears slipped, with every step she took she was taking a piece of his heart with her until there was nothing left.

He had no one and no way out, he was trapped.