Chapter Forty Nine

Ruby stood up, stretching a little as she made her way over JJ, moving leaves aside so she could see better.

She took his hand in her own, playing with his fingers as she mentally prepared herself for whatever reaction he would have.

"Hey J..?" She asked quietly and he hummed, "can I uh.. can I tell you something..?" She said seriously, looking up at him.

"Anything" JJ answered and she nodded, taking a deep breath, "at kitty hawk, I was required to take a test.. a pregnancy test.." Ruby said quietly.

JJ scanned her features but Ruby was looking down, watching the grass move in the breeze, "it was positive.." She said and looked up at him.

He was quiet for a moment, letting her words sink in, "I'm gonna be a dad..?" He breathed out, finally looking at her.

"Yea.." Ruby said quietly, "holy shit! Oh my god!" JJ cheered, lifting her into his arms and spinning her around.

She laughed and held onto him, their tears mixing together as they kissed, savoring the moment with each other.

The two sat under the tree for a while, his hand rubbing her stomach and every now and then he'd kiss it or her lips, overwhelmed with happiness.

Eventually they made their way back to everyone else, JJ cutting through the weeds with his machete.

It was clear JJ and Ruby weren't the only ones sharing a moment, Pope and Cleo had finally gotten together.

So they continued up, it was exhausting but something was telling them it'd all be worth it in the end.

Even if they didn't find the gold, finding her brother was more than enough, she needed to know he was okay.

Every now and then they would stop for a water break and to give their legs some relief.

Right now they were about over halfway up the hill, Ruby had to admit the scenery was breathtaking, it was definitely a perk in this situation.

JJ kept his arm around Ruby the whole time, constantly checking on her and giving her water more frequently.

Pope and Cleo were the first ones to know, JJ was far too excited and needed to tell the news to someone, Ruby didn't miss Kiara's scowl at the announcement.

But she didn't care, she was in South America with the love of her life and in the first stages of starting her family.

What could go wrong?