Chapter Seventeen

After a bit they had to stop for gas, and naturally they all wanted some actual food.

Ruby was on JJ's back as they walked to the gas pump, Sage had put them on gas duty so they wouldn't wander away.

Her fingers played with the cord of his shark tooth, admiring him while he filled up the gas can.

After they filled up the boat everyone was sitting on the deck in their own groups, Ruby was curled up on JJ's lap, getting ready to fall asleep.

Pope followed Kiara's gaze and sighed, " don't" Pope said, " don't what?" Kiara asked, turning to look at him.

" don't ruin them. JJ is happy with Ruby. You don't need to be with every single one of us." Pope jabbed before returning back to Cleo.

Ruby looked over at Sage, frowning, " he's okay.. it's John B.. he's practically Indiana Jones" she said and gently nudged her, trying to lighten the mood.

" and what if he isn't okay Ruby? Then what? Life isn't just sunshine and rainbows. It's not some fairytale." Sage jabbed and Ruby cringed, looking down.

" hey.. Rue I-that's not what I meant.." Sage said quietly, " You still hate me.. don't you?" Ruby asked, straightening up.

" it's not hate.. it's jealousy.." she admitted, leaning back against the railing, " jealousy?" Ruby questioned.

" you go through life like- like you're surfing a wave. You just glide right through it." Sage explained, " I don't glide through life Sae.. I'm just always forced to be the strong one.." Ruby murmured, taking one of the blankets and covering JJ up.

" he always talked about you.. I knew from the beginning that you're the one he wanted.." she said quietly, " I didn't mean to ruin-" Ruby started but Sage cut her off,

" you didn't ruin anything. You had your chance eight times and yet you still sent him back to me.. you were willing to suffer just because you thought he was happy." She said and Ruby sighed.

" that shit takes guts Rue.. I only wish John B fought for me as hard as you and JJ fight for each other.." Sage said quietly before standing up, going back to the steering wheel.

Ruby looked down at JJ, gently brushing his hair out of his eyes, has he really loved her as long as she's loved him?

She placed a gentle kiss on his lips, smiling as he pulled her down to lay with him.

" stay.." JJ murmured, nuzzling his face into the crook of her neck, " I always will.." she whispered, gently rubbing his back.

And she meant it. She'd stay as long as he wanted her to.