*•.•* XVI *•.•*

10:00am

-hey!- i greeted joão happily as i approached him. -hey- he hugged me. -let's go for a walk.- he interlocked our fingers. we walked around for a while before we saw a small pastry shop. -look, they have chocolate croissants!- i pointed to the bakery.

-i'll get us two.- he smiled at me and went to buy the pastries. the pastry shop had tables by the shore so we sat there. -it's probably so cold in portugal right now.- he said as he handed me one croissant.

-one day, i'll have to pay back everything you paid for here.- i told him seriously. -don't worry at all, i owe you for everything.-

-what do you owe me?- i was kinda confused. -you are constantly putting up with my stress, you know, the games at all, you're showing me constant support through everything. i'm so thankful for you.- he sounded really honest.

-it's like we were destined to meet here.- he took my hands into his. -wow- everything i just heard was unreal. i tried to control my emotions, but i couldn't help it and i started crying. -that's beautiful- i wiped the tear streaming down my cheek with my hand.

-don't cry now, i'm just saying the truth.- that made me laugh a little bit. we talked a bit more while eating the croissants.

magui's POV:

i was at the airport, waiting for my flight. i decided that it would be best for me to move on from joão. i guess that it just wasn't meant to be. i tried to be reasonable and i realized it would be best if i stopped thinking about joão and found someone else. he obviously moved on. -flight 420 is boarding soon.- i got up to show my tickets to the staff. it didn't take long for everyone to board the plane. we took off.

maeve's POV:

-soo, you should probably know what i'm about to ask you.- i told him as i took a bite out of my croissant.

-no..?- well, that was kinda awkward. -when is your next game?- i felt my cheeks heat up out of embarrasment. -actually, i'm not sure. let me check.- he pulled out his phone.

-on the 2nd of december. against south korea.- he put his phone back into his pocket and we continued eating our croissants. -are they a good team?- i asked him.

-i guess we'll see. i wouldn't know.- he shrugged.-

.•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•.

2/12/2022, 10:00am

joão's POV:

today i woke up feeling nervous. i am currently at training. today, maeve didn't come. i was secretly hoping that she would come later like she did one time before. she did a great job in calming me down before stressful games.

we trained some free kicks and corners. i hope to score today, or at least to get an assist. the game was at 16 today. six hours left before the game.

.•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•.

1,5 hours passed. training was over. i went over to talk to ronaldo, to try and calm myself down. -hey- i told him -do you think we'll win? i'm kinda nervous.-

-we should try our best to win this today. you are still young, if we don't win this year, you'll have many more chances.- he put his hand on my shoulder. -thank you cris.- i thanked him and took my bag. i wanted some alone time before the game. for some reason, i was way more stressed today. i have a feeling that we'll lose.

.•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•.

maeve's POV:

-what are you gonna wear?- i asked nicole. -i don't know. hey, why didn't you see joão today? did you guys fight or something?- she completely brushed off my question.

-nooo, we're good, i just don't wanna bother him before the game.- she scoffed at my response. -girl, you really think that you're bothering him?-

-you put that attitude down. i don't think that, i just wanna be sure that he's focused.- i commented.

-whatever you say, it's not my relationship anyways.- she shrugged and started picking out her clothes. -thank you!- i clapped my hands.

-look, i'll wear this- she showed me a cute outfit. -nice, i'm still deciding.-

after some thought and browsing through my closet, i imagined an outfit. portugal's away jersey with black flared jeans. it wasn't anything special, but i liked it.

-we're gonna be cute like always.- nicole said as we high fived each other. -i can't wait, i hope that joão will score.- i was excited for the game.

.•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•..•**•.

15:30

everybody already knows that me and nicole arrive early to all games. well, no wonder since nicole works there. we went to the changing room to check how a selecção is doing before the game.

i walked up to joão. he was looking at his phone and bouncing his leg up and down. -hey, are you doing ok?- i sat down next to him and scratched his back. -i'm really nervous.- he put away the phone and looked at me. -what if we lose?- (cliché)

-you'll have many more chances in the future. this is your first world cup.- i tried comforting him the best that i could. he didn't say anything after that.

i talked to him for a bit more, and it was already 10 to 16. -nicole, i think that it's time to go to our seats.- i grabbed her arm. -let's go. bye!- she waved at whoever she was talking to. i didn't bother to look. i just waved to joão. he waved back at me. we were at our seats waiting for the game to begin.

the players came out and the national anthems started playing. joão looked so beautiful, but i could see that he was really nervous. the game began with a whistle. just five minutes into the game, horta scored for portugal. portugal fans erupted into celebration.

everything was going smoothly for portugal until korea got a goal. in the 27th minute of the match, kim young-gwon scored. when i looked at joão, i saw his sad facial expression. i was nervous and i didn't want portugal to lose.

to portugal's great disappointment, korea got another goal in the 91st minute. i wanted portugal to win so badly, but i knew that was really impossible. i didn't wanna see joão sad.

the game was soon over. this was portugal's first loss this world cup. the players went to the changing rooms. as usual, me and nicole went to portugal's changing room. i saw joão angrily stuffing stuff into his bag. when he saw me, he dropped the bag and looked at me.