Chapter 22. Flames of the Sin

Lexi didn't make a fuss anymore. With ease, she allowed Adrian to seat her on the passenger side of the car. His eyebrows shot up at her. Her beautiful face was flushed crimson, and she was mostly oblivious to her surroundings because of the alcohol in her system. She looked so adorable and vulnerable that it made his heart skip a beat.

Adrian's strength came from the fact that he was half-demon, the sort that thrived on sin-burning human souls. His impulses were driving him insane, and she was like a flame that burned his blood with the first drop of sin in her pure soul.

Lexi!

He secured her seatbelt, taking care not to startle her, and sat down in the driver's seat.

He expertly steered the car out of the parking lot and onto the streets. Except for a few quiet, gentle breaths from a certain someone, the drive was mostly silent. At some point, she had even curled into a ball and fallen asleep. Adrian thoughtfully brought down the air conditioner to nil and stepped harder on the accelerator.

After fifteen minutes, he maneuvered the vehicle through the driveway and pulled to a stop in front of his house. His attendants and maids rushed out of the car as soon as he got out and bowed together, waiting for him to give an instruction.

"Welcome Back, Sir."

He nodded and walked around the car to open the door to the passenger seat. He unbuckled her seatbelt and gingerly pulled her out of the car and into his arms. When he had previously brought her back to his house, he had already informed everyone ahead of time to forgo these formalities to avoid burdening her.

He approached the door through the path his servants had created and stopped at the step before turning to address everyone.

"Where is Glenn?"

Glenn moved a few paces in the spotlight away from the line of maids and bowed. "Sir."

"Follow me." He ordered and walked ahead towards the staircase.

"Take care of her."

Glenn understood what he meant.
"Yes, your hi-I mean, sir."

After giving his butterfly one last look, Adrian left his room. He took a quick shower and walked back to his room in his night robe. Unsurprisingly, Lexi was curled up on his bed under the silk sheet, fast asleep. Glenn had changed her out of her dress and made her wear his pajamas. His tee was too big for her and made it look like an off-shoulder dress, revealing her fair neck and collarbone. It appealed to him, scorching his heart to leave his claim on her. I love-

He was pulled out of his reverie at the sound of the door opening, and he turned to face the intruder.

"Forgive me, your highness." Glenn bowed her head in apology. "I didn't know you were inside."

Adrian waved her apology and invited her inside. "What is it?"

"That, my lord, do you want me to stay with her?"

Adrian looked at his butterfly in contemplation. So, should he step into the fiery pits of his sheets or fall down the cliff and miss her morning moment?

Adrian walked towards his bed and sat down beside her sleeping silhouette. "You can leave."

Glenn bowed in farewell and walked out of the room.

Lexi. He laid down beside her under the sheet, careful not to wake her up, and closed his eyes.

Lights off.

The shadows stirred at his command, the switches flipped, and the room was enveloped in darkness, save from the moonlight that peaked from beneath the curtains.

In the darkness, he counted her breath as the time passed. The seconds changed to minutes, and the minutes changed to hours, and then he felt her stir.

She wriggled in her space unconsciously, as if finding her space unfamiliar yet so familiar, and he let her figure it out and calm herself down.

She seemed to be looking for something—her phone, he concluded when the light shone in front of her. Was she checking the time? It had to be 3 in the morning.

More rustling until a click, and the room was cast in a warm golden glow from the bedside lamp, and her breath hitched. So she noticed, huh?

Silence.

Butterfly, what is this? I was expecting some pushing and tumbling. Are you planning to burn a hole in my face? I want to kiss you. Come here, wake me up!

As if hearing his call, he felt her move closer to him—darling, what are you planning?—and her hand came to rest against his face. Am I getting that kiss?
Or was she preparing to slap me? He paused as he felt her weight against him as her hand skidded to her shoulder to squeeze him, and then her head came to rest against his chest.

"I want to fly."

Her words were barely a whisper, and he stilled.

"I want to fly."

She held him close, like she dared not let go, and breathed out unevenly.

"I want to fly."

She chanted softly, like a mantra, as she dozed against him restlessly, shivering in the anxiety of the unknown.

He opened his eyes and looked at her with an empty smile. "As you command, my butterfly."

The shadows screeched happily as he inhaled it all; her pain, her anxiety, and her negative emotions were liberated through his nature as he took them away, and her breathing evened out as her screaming soul was silenced.

Lexi. Adrian smiled. "I love you."

~~~~~~~~~~

Don't forget to vote and comment.