Chapter 2 - Banana skies - I

Bakugo finished shoving the toothbrush down his throat. He chucked it in a cup and paused on his way back to his room. Faint muttering echoed from his parent's shared bedroom but he believed his name was said so out of curiosity, Bakugo swiftly moved to lean against the door so he can hear it clearer.

"We'll tell him when it's sorted, it doesn't mean anything."

"You can't keep it from him."

Bakugo kicked the door open and both of them actually shared the same widened eyes.

"Keep what from me?" He demanded, feeling built up frustration leave his body like steam with a kettle.

"Oh, nothing son!" His dad waved his hands around. Bullshit and Bakugo knew it.

"Eh, can't keep it from the nosy boy. We're getting a divorce. He's taken 16 years from me and I refuse to let him have any more, I need my happiness back."

Her words spewed venom across the room, across the husband she chose to marry. It was painful to see how much it affected his dad. He tried to put on a brave face for his son, to retain the shattered dignity he had left but it wasn't very successful.

"Stop talking shit about him."

"I'm not talking 'shit'. I'm saying the truth, he's made me miserable."

He regreted listening in, nothing was gained from it. As he left the room, Mitsuki turned her attention back to the man she was about to discard.

"This shit..." Bakugo mumbled as he threw the blanket over himself, falling asleep after some struggle.

He woke up and went to grab his uniform but remembered that it was the weekend. He slouched his shoulders and hung his head low, this was what he needed. Weekends are crap, and the weeks off were even worse. Maybe they'll stay in their rooms and mope like they usually do after an argument. On this day, as he trailed down the stairs things differed from the past. His mother sat on the table as if she waited for his presence, tapping her shoe against the wood. Meanwhile, his father wasn't in sight. She immediately began to speak, not giving Bakugo a chance to say good morning. To be honest, he wasn't going to but one can imagine.

"We are both having the divorce, you're staying here with me. We'll start the paperwork today to get this done as soon as possible. Hey, don't look at me like that. In the long run, it'll be better for both of us. Not to have such a bad example in your life."

They were serious on it, usually they'd forget in the morning but here his mother is, giving the clear signs that it's over.

Afterwards, he retreated to his room and watched YouTube until it was later in the day. Wow, was it already three in the afternoon? He hadn't eaten yet but didn't feel hungry either. It was so fucking quiet in the house and he grew to hate it, despite the yelling not being any better. No messages within the group chat for Bakugo to critique, and he wouldn't go and personally message so he accepted being alone. Dinner time came soon and there wasn't anything made so he just decided to sleep it off.

On Sunday, his father went to work without seeing Bakugo beforehand, where he would usually say goodbye for the day. He groaned as he went down stairs, planning on making himself some cereal. With minimal mess, he sat down with a spoon and hastily ate. His mother stomped down shortly after and began talking poorly about her husband. Bakugo grumbled along to it, too tired to deal with it.

When she had enough of degrading the man, she went to get herself some breakfast. "Fucking hell, can't he keep shit organised? Where's the fucking sugar?"

The spoon stirred the pieces around, making a small whirlpool.

"He always does this shit, can't he just be organised?"

The whirlpool ceased to exist, the spoon dropping. "Mum, drop it." He sighed.

"Are you on his fucking side, Katsuki?"

"I'm... not on anyone's side."

"Then I haven't done anything wrong, I don't know why you're acting like I am."

He looked up and saw the scowl across his mother's face. She was taking out her fustration on him, nothing new there.

"Katsuki!" She screamed.

"What?!" His eyelid flinched.

"Answer me."

"On what?"

She didn't even reply, what was this woman on about? It felt nonsensical at this point, another rant she's monologued about. The cereal was poured down the sink, he slowly watched the water drain. He dropped the bowl and ignored his mother's yell to stay with her. Slamming the door behind him, he flopped onto the bed and blinked multiple times, expecting tears yet nothing. He was completely dry. Flopping on his back and staring lazily at the ceiling, his thoughts wandered away. It kept him occupied for long enough, to the level where he didn't even recall the time his mother banged against his door to get his attention.

Bakugo woke up the next day and threw on his uniform without a complaint, fixing his hygiene and having a few spoonfuls of cereal before finally finding his bag. The door shut behind him, taking a few steps onto the street he inhaled the fresh air of today. He may have even skipped for some of the journey. He entered the mighty school, went up to his classroom by stairs and then kicked the door open. No one turned their head, used to the entrance of their classmate. He dropped his bag next to the desk and sat down. Kirishima was usually late but today he magically appeared, leaning his elbow on Bakugo's desk with a grin.

"Microsoft speaking, can I help you?"

Kirishima chuckled, remembering the inside joke they made a while ago. "Well, you seem in a good mood today. What's the occasion?"

"What do you mean, Sharky?"

"Look! You're smiling."

He didn't realise he was smiling. His mouth relaxed and his forehead creased. Was he really enjoying school that much? Damn, he was becoming a nerd like Deku. It wasn't as embarrassing though, more confusing.

"Ohhh, I see." He smirked. "Did you miss us?" Kirishima nudged his shoulder.

"Yes, uh. What? No, as if." Bakugo panicked on his words, realising that he agreed to Kirishima's tease.

The other was just as surprised by the response. He pulled Bakugo by the sleeve so he was standing and then gave him a big hug, using his quirk so Bakugo couldn't move. "Aw, you're adorable, Bakubro!"

"I am not, fuck off!"

"Awe!" That was Mina, Bakugo realised. She probably entered the classroom a few seconds ago. "What's going on here?"

"Oh Mina! It's evolution, Bakubro admitted he missed us."

She squealed loudly and jumped into the hug, nearly toppling them both over like dominos. Bakugo stared at the posters on the wall, head rested on Kirishima's shoulder. He liked that his friends cared and therefore stayed in the hug a little longer, savouring the comfort he subconsciously needed.