Chapter 16 - Dahlia fields - U

His eyes glazed the bowl of popcorn, left untouched by Bakugo. "No popcorn?"

"I'm alright." Bakugo replied, his crossed arms shifting.

The shorter boy's eyes widened. "oh, I know. I'll get those chocolates you loved as a kid. Hold on!"

"I--." No use, Midoriya almost sprinted to the kitchen and Bakugo didn't bother yelling to get his attention. He instead sunk in embarassment.

He returned shortly after with a bowl of miniature snicker wrappers. Bakugo's eyes followed it until the bowl was set and then he returned back to the potted plant in the corner. He didn't know the name of it but he liked the shape; tall with small leaves that poked outwards.

To ease the cold air of shyness between them, Midoriya chose a random movie for background noise. Bakugo looked interested in it, however, he didn't grab even one chocolate to snack on.

Midoriya sat slouched, mumbling and then having the confidence to fully speak. "Kacchan, you haven't had any of it."

The blonde looked ahead and shrugged. "I'm not hungry."

Neither spoke... silence returning, the noise coming from the TV that presented a scene of two swans that swam across the pond. They separated and performed, one with their head dunked under the water while the other flapped their wings.

Inko returned with a smile. "It's so lovely to have you with us Katsuki! It has been too long. How are you honey?"

"I'm good, thank you. It's nice to be here."

"I'll leave you boys to it! I'm sure there's lots going on at school to catch up on."

She walked away, leaving Bakugo with a different feeling. Different to the usual mountains of remorse he climbed. The mother of the kid he put through hell welcomed him into her home. It confused him, possibly it scared him.

But the swan lifted his head from the coldness of the water and swam towards the other.

"Izuku..." Bakugo almost whispered with his hands linked.

"Hm? Did you say something?"

He leaned back and took in a deep breath. "Remember when we were kids and whenever my parents argued you'd hug me?"

"Can I...?"

"Please." Bakugo confirmed. He soon brought the other into his arms, looking down as he curled into the embrace. They fitted together comfortably and all that could be heard was the soft piano from the movie, as well as an occasional whimper that Midoriya took no notice to.

"Do you remember that time when we had that Halloween party..." Midoriya began.

"Where we left dog shit on the pissy neighbour's door?"

"Yeah... well, that was you."

Bakugo smiled, "no, no. Don't deny your younger self being any less mischievous."

Bakugo didn't realise that they were positioned to be laying down, he let his mind free for once in the last few months and relaxed on his friend's chest.

He used to look forward to spending time here.

His opinion never differed, it was more an expectation he had to fill. To keep a strong persona. The further away people were, the easier it was for him. Was it to protect himself or to protect the people close from him?

It hurts to think about it. Every action he made was one to end with regret. With so much regrets how could he ever make it right? He shouldn't have asked for the comfort, fuck, he should be comforting the other for what shit he put him through. He messed up and moved away from Midoriya with a raspy breath. He gripped the ends of his hair and leaned forward.

"Hey, Kacchan? What's going on?"

Thoughts were wrapping around each other to cover the tree on his morality. Insults twisting reality to the question of where the line between was. It wrapped around his neck too as he choked on his sobs. Midoriya shifted next to him as he pulled him back to his embrace, muttering soft affirmations. He raked his hand through the blonde hair and it did wonders in soothing. Bakugo could breathe but chose to stay in the hug occurring.

"Kacchan, is it helping?"

A soft mhm could be heard.

"Please have some sips of water, it'll help hydrate you. I'll hold the glass, okay?"

Another mhm, softer than before. Midoriya did a decent effort in holding water nearby so Bakugo could drink from the straw. The glass was emptied shortly after and Bakugo sat back with a gasp of relief.

He turned his head and noticed the worry.

"Hey, de- I- uh. Shit, I'm okay. Just had a moment, don't you dare tell others or mutter about this."

"I would never, this is personal. I know you will tell me when you're ready but I'll still ask, what's upsetting you?"

Bakugo whispered so quietly that he wondered if he heard it himself.

"Could you say that louder?"

"My parents are getting a divorce."

"Oh, I'm sorry. That's never easy to deal with."

"I don't need that, it's fine. Honestly, it's for the best. The old man deserves so much better but why does it feel like it's my fault? If--."

"No. I mean-- sorry, it's just. It's not your fault, it's far from that. Parents are adults and have the ability to make their own deicisons, that's nothing for you to blame yourself for."

Bakugo kept his eyes closed to block any more tears from exiting.

"How long have you felt... that way?"

His voice cracked, "for so fucking long."

Midoriya felt a tear on his own cheek as he sat next to his childhood friend. He took a deep breath and continued his pledge to look after his Kacchan, whether it was difficult or not.

"Nerd, it's my crying time not yours."

"Ah! I'm so sorry."

Midoriya raised an eyebrow to hearing Bakugo laugh. Soon they were both laughing together over how easily Midoriya would cry and eventually they ended in a deep conversation on more golden memories of their past. From when they first began school to the day where they climbed on the roof of Bakugo's home to watch the stars. His mother was furious when she caught them, scolding the blonde for hours on the position she would have been in if Midoriya fell and broke any bones.

Bakugo ate a few of the chocolates and afterwards, he felt the exhaustion of the day resurface as he smoothly fell asleep.