Chapter 39 - closure - T

He needed to keep managing in school, making sure his issues were concealed from those extras. After all, this was his way to be free from the shit of his home life and find a purpose. With the list checked off, he felt ready for his second lesson and prepared, waiting outside the door because he was relatively early. The previous class walked out the door and the blonde hovered at the window until his teacher saw noticed and gestured for him to enter. He went to his seat, unprepared.

The man fixed his glasses as he cleared his throat, "where is your homework?"

His eyes knitted together, "I haven't done it yet, there was no visible deadline so I--."

"Well, if you were listening last lesson you would have known it was today."

He wasn't shouting but had a condemning tone which messed with him more than the latter, though he couldn't make sense of why it would bother him, over something so minimal. All he could do was keep it together, there was no way he was that weak.

"I can do it today," he replied.

"You will do it today. I will see it." He glared at the student.

Bakugo paused, staring at his book as he placed it down. Would he really let one teacher upset him? Really?

The other students entered and he sat down with them, starting to zone out as he thought of his mother. The teacher sounded just like her... maybe that one thing broke past his glass wall. The blaring lights hit his head as the teacher briefly scolded others who didn't do their homework but Bakugo was deep in thought.

No, he refuses to cry so he dug his nails into his skin as deep as he could to avoid the fuzzy feeling and gain control over himself. He kept digging and slowly it worked. The idea of success passed him when his brain reminded him of his mother and her words... "immature", "weak".

Sticky blobs left his eye as he loosened his hands, blinking furiously to dry out the tears but only more would come. "You like being sad", "attention seeker". He couldn't stop the tears so he placed a hand over his eyes, hiding the obvious from around him. It was embarrassing to break down in front of the class but here he was. Pathetic.

He sniffed occasionally, keeping the hand glued to his face. But the lesson went on, students asked questions about the work and the teacher answered them. No one pointed out his presence.

The hour was excruciatingly long and when he heard the magic words that things would continue next lesson, he stood up with everyone else and packed his things up -- despite never using them. By being one of the first to leave the class, Bakugo turned in the opposite direction and passed the school gates. He had many more lessons to go through but mentally he couldn't, hands shaking as they cradled his phone. In desperation, he dialled the one person he needed comfort from.

The blonde woman grasped her phone as her son's profile flashed, pressing to accept the call.

On the other side, Bakugo called out to his mother and she asked him what was wrong because he only called her during emergencies.

"I just need to talk to someone, I feel like shit," he croaked across the line.

"What happened?" Her voice softened, almost whispering.

He explained with everything that took place from the minute he set foot in UA to where he currently was and anticipated her response. It was likely she would scold him for overreacting when he should have sucked it up.

He didn't expect her to actually support him but some miracle occurred.

After many hours, he sunk in his seat, watching the sky change colours right in front of him as his mum drove past another supermarket. The ice cream shop was in sight and she pulled into a parking lot, pulling the key away from the engine and then stepping out. Bakugo shoved his hands in his pockets as he followed behind.

The door gave a soft ding as the family entered and Bakugo hovered over the display of various flavours. His usual favourite was "cherry-bomb" which left a sizzling aftertaste on the tongue. But this time he wanted to try something different and he scanned the other flavours.

Two flavours swept him off his feet as he struggled to decide between the two; one sounded as delicious as the other. Blueberry cheesecake and chocolate mousse. He scratched his chin, worried about the consequences of his actions. His mother already ordered, working on her minimal patience. "You ready?" She questioned.

"I'm torn between these two," he pointed.

"Get a scoop of both."

"But we usually get one."

"I know," she sighed. "Today was shit for you so you can have both, alright?"

As they sat back inside the car, he had a grin that couldn't be mistaken; was it because of the delicious treats or his mother's sincerity? He bit on the spoon as the car reversed onto the main road before taking off.

The sky, ice cream and an evening drive made harmony swirl inside Bakugo. Such a small, insignificant moment but influential to him, and her, their familial connection. Though it was lacking, these times helped to remind him that there was positivity around the corner. Their bond could be salvaged no matter the situation.

He pressed the button to turn on the radio, automatically connecting to the indie-based channel. After a few seconds of drumming to the beat, he realised he knew the song. He knew it because his mother showed it to him. She embraced music just as much as he did and took the opportunities to introduce him to various bands that she liked. Initially, Bakugo rolled his eyes at the songs shown but secretly it grew on him to the point where he really enjoyed them. This song was no different but it did make him cringe when she said it reminded her of him. Mother's being affectionate for once? Yuck.

"Can I get back to my loneliness?
I don't know what to do with all the happiness
That you're giving me."

He finished the last spoonful of ice cream, dropped the remains into a bag and watched the horizon outside his window.

"But it seems that in the end I fuck up everything
And it's killing me
Slowly."

He didn't recognise the lyrics before, blinking as he turned to watch his mother. The blonde woman continued to drive, hands on the steering wheel and in her own peace. Simple things did make her happy. For once, he wondered if she felt the same fears he had? Did they prey on her too? If it did, then surely she would have known to treat him differently.

"Where we're going, this shit don't matter
La la la la la la"

She struggled to open up with him, vice versa. The song brought a level of understanding between them. Bakugo saw her as a flawed woman who had compassion under her aggressive habits. They were similar; at times unfortunately so, but it meant he could make sense of her through himself. He couldn't ever find the words to say it aloud -- that he still loved her even when she did "fuck up".