9

The boy only paused slightly when he saw you but continued to build his structure until you sat down.

You saw he had pale skin, hair white as clouds, black eyes, slight eye bags and a small body. His white hair caught your attention and it's messy state.

He was wearing the Whammy's dress shirt but 3 sizes too big and oversized blue pants. This made his small body seem even smaller in all that fabric.

"I'm Nate, what's your name?" He said not looking up

You were suspicious of him but thought you should at least tell your name.

"I'm (Y/N).....um- why are you here in the library, alone?"

He put another block on top, the structure now reaching his torso.

"It's quiet, I imagine that's why you came here. Is it not?"

"Yeah."

He looked at you and went around his structure getting real close to you and your face.

When he sat down your knees and his touched, that's how close you were. It wasn't uncomfortable, it was just weird and you were more curious to care about the distance.

"Were you tutored by L?" He asked.

Technically he didn't directly tutor you, but you did learn so you could say yes or no and it would still be correct.

You leaned your body forward to not seem intimidated and said, "No, he didn't tutor me. He just sheltered me from obligation of a contract. Why do you want to know?"

He leaned a little backwards after my answer, he seemed to relax.

"Nothing, it was just a rumor going around the children. That's why you were swarmed, we all admire him and all thrive to be his successor."

You didn't buy it. You felt there was something else he was looking for when he asked you earlier, but it's not like you could question him now.

"Near! Have you seen the new girl? Everyone has been saying she's very pretty, but the headmaster wants to see her."

The voice came from outside and it sounded like a little boy's voice.

You had already stood up and walked to the door with your suitcase so when the door opened you saw a tall brunette.

The moment his brain processed who you were his eyes instantly lit up and smiled from eye to ear.

"Aw, she's very cute. Look at how nice she looks in whammy uniform, she looks just like a doll! Her head barely reaches my chest, look Mello!" He said examining you and giving you pats on the head.

You didn't like this kind of introduction by the boy but you also didn't feel like fighting right now so you stood there with a dead panned face.

From the corner of your eye you saw a blonde boy about the same height as the brunette but with a scowl in his face.

The blonde that seemed to be the one named Mello pushed the brunettes face and leaned to look at you. He looked you up and down and just scoffed.

"Is this really the girl L adopted and tutored? Honestly if he took the time to teach her he could have just kept her instead of bringing her here." He paused slightly and his scowl turned into a smirk

"Or was it because you're dumb and he thought to abandon you here? Seems like she's not that smart after all!" He said poking your head with his index finger

In this situation you stayed calm, but you hated how cocky he acted and that smirk made your eye twitch. You started right into Mello's eyes almost which was your way of talking back without saying anything.

"Why does the headmaster need her?" Asked Nate from behind which seemed to release some of the pent up tension and broke the staring contest.

Mello didn't look any happier to see Nate but still answered.

"He wants to give her the schedule and also wants to introduce her to all of us....formally."

Which Nate just responded with a quick and calm, "okay let's go then" before pushing past the three of you and out the door.

----------In the Headmaster's office----------

Once in the office you saw the headmaster seemed nicer than the one at the other orphanage.

"I'm very happy to have you here Y/N! I heard so many good things about you and I think you have so much potential!" He said enthusiastically.

You could hear Mello scoff but pretended not to hear.

"Yeah...I heard you would give me my schedule?" I asked, politely leaning forward in my chair to look focused.

"Right! Near will also show you around since you're both the same age." He said passing you a piece of paper.

"Oh right I almost forgot. The White haired is Neat, the brunette is Matt, and the grouchy blonde is Mello" said pointed each of the boys, but you already knew their names from your previous conversations.

"The Whammy house is a place where we raise smart kids to grow up to be L's successor when he's not around. Currently at the top of the class is Near with Mello and Matt close behind." He said which made Mello more angry because he was reminded he was second place.

Matt seem glad to even be top 3 and Near just seemed to be staring at the headmaster and you with a straight face but you could tell he was thinking.

After more history telling of the House and the founding the four of you were excused. Mello and Matt immediately took off into another direction while you and Near stood watching them walk out of sight.

"Should we get this over with?" You asked, looking at Near.

He nodded and started walking with you following close behind.

This was the perfect chance to figure out more about the albino kid now that you knew he's #1.

"When were you brought here?" You asked walking to the side of him.

"Now you want to know more about me?" He questioned back.

"I'm questioning you because you're the current #1 just how you questioned me because of the rumor I was tutored by L. Don't act pure and innocent." You said walking more towards Nate making him turn towards an empty hallway.

You backed Near towards the wall, your small head hovering slightly over his.

"What do you actually want to know? Back in the library when I asked why you wanted to know if I was tutored by L, you said nothing. I feel like you're lying, no. I know you are." You paused and leaned forward making the straight faced kid hit the wall.

"Why did you ask?" You questioned, your eyes fired up as you held a firm and intense face.

Near seemed unfazed but you didn't know that your sudden approach surprised him slightly, it seemed out of character and he thought you wouldn't do anything during the walk.

He leaned off the wall slowly, making you take a step back.

"You really want to know that badly?" he asked.

"Why else do you think we're here" you responded coldly.

He smirked slightly, amused which made you scrunch your nose.

"Okay I'll tell you. It's because.......

To be continued