22

-----December 25, 2009-----

When you woke up the sun peeked through the blinds and illuminated the spot where Nate was sleeping last night. You blinked a couple of times and rubbed your eyes to relieve your sleepiness. 

As you sat up you noticed your change in attitude. Usually, you feel tired or hungry when you wake up, but today it was as if you'd drank an energy drink. The energy coursed through every vein in your body and you felt optimistic about today.

This was out of character for you, but you were willing to let it slide for now. When you finished washing up and getting ready for today you walked into the work area with a juice box in your hand.

Just as you sat down on your usual chair the other SPK members walked through the door. Near was already looking at monitors when everyone settled. Rester walked in and was the only one who stayed. Gevanni headed out to continue tailing Mikami, the second Kira, while Halle continues being Takada's bodyguard.

Rester didn't seem affected by last night and continued doing his job like a professional. Near played chess with himself on the ground while i worked with Rester. We did minor tasks that didn't seem like they needed my assistance and which Rester would've done before by himself.

You didn't mind him trying to bond with you over work and he seemed to notice your change in attitude as he pointed out that you looked refreshed. He commented that your eye bags were more faded and that you reminded him of his sister when she was younger which you just dismissed, telling him to focus.

Around lunch time Gevanni called the headquarters because of something that stuck out to him about Mikami. 

"Mikami is talking to himself!" Gevanni said.

"To himself?", repeated Rester as he leaned forward while you just listened quietly in your chair

"Yes. He's too far away for me to record his voice, but I've got visuals of his mouth. This is footage of Mikami during his break at work", Gevanni responded as the monitor displayed Mikami sitting on a bench, indeed talking to himself.

"Right here, he's saying something.", pointed out Gevanni as he showed the moment.

"Show it once more to us in slow motion.", Rester commanded as he leaned further to look at the monitor closer.

"'That Shinigami just handed me the notebook and has not appeared before me since then.'", this is what Rester lip-read from Mikami.

"So Mikami was given the notebook by a Shinigami.", You say as you swing your legs, drinking the sweet juice and letting it cool your mouth and throat.

"But the Shinigami hasn't been following him." Continued Near as he picked up a wooden figurine representing a Shinigami.

"I see...", Near says as he hands you the figurine, making you turn towards him. You throw the figurine in his toy box, representing the fact it isn't in the picture, for now.

-----Later that evening-----

Christmas day was almost over when Near called you over to where he was sitting. Rester was still in the headquarters, but was taking a break in the kitchen with his only love. Coffee.

As you sat behind Near you noticed wooden figurines of everyone in the Kira case standing in front of him.

Mello, Near, Aizawa, Rester and the others. Well, except for you. Near had never done a wooden figurine of you which you didn't take it to heart.

You were sure Near had a reason for it, although it was one of the few things you didn't understand about Near.

"All this time I've tried to kept you away from this case even when you were by my side all this time, helping me through each step. However, I trust in your abilities to keep yourself and others safe.", Near said, looking down at something in his hand.