11

-----December 5, 2004-----

"L.....Is dead", said Rodger looking sad.

Near kept his eyes on the puzzle but glanced and saw that your eyebrows twitched slightly when Rodger said that, however, you still had that numb stare right after to which Near quickly returned to his puzzle.

Mello doesn't take it well at all. 

"What did you say?" He walks forward, still shocked "Say it again!"

"L is dead," Says Rodger once again, looking down sadly.

"Dead!? Why?", asks Mello, as he puts his hands angerly on Rodger's desk. "Did Kira kill him? is that it?"

"Probably..." answers Rodger.

"He said that he would get Kira executed ...but he was killed?!" Shouts Mello.

You face Mello and try to put a hand on his shoulder to calm him as he's basically spitting on Rodger with the closeness. However he pushes you off and grabs Rodger by his sleeves, still questioning him.

"Mello.." Says Rodger, surprised by Mello's sudden actions. You and Mello turn as Near dumps his puzzle making small white puzzle pieces fly onto the round.

Everything is dead silent until Near breaks it. "If you can't beat the game... If you can't solve the puzzle...you're nothing but a loser.", said Near as he began to redo the jigsaw puzzle calmly. 

Mello was still quick to act and asked the million dollar question, "Me, Y/N or Near? Which one of us did L...?"

"None of you yet.." Said Rodger, with his calm and steady posture regained. "He can't choose.. if he's dead" he continued, before looking down.

"Mello, Near, Y/N why don't you three work together?" Suggested Rodger, looking at the three of us. Mello didn't seem too okay with this as he scoffed, however i had no problem working with them.

"Sure. Sounds good', said Near still busy rebuilding the jigsaw puzzle. 

"That's impossible Rodger" Said Mello with a sour face. "You know that i don't get along with Y/N or Near. We've always competed against each other. Always!"

Rodger just looked down with his eyes closed.

"It's fine, Rodger. Near and Y/N should succeed L. Unlike me, Near and Y/N will solve this unemotionally, like a puzzle. I'm going to leave this institution." Said Mello as he started walking towards the door. 

"Mello!" Called out Rodger as he stood up quickly.

"I'm almost fifteen anyway. I'll live my life my own way." said Mello before closing the door, leaving the three of you in the room.

You turned to look at Near and he was already staring at you, it was safe to say you both knew what to do next.

'catch Kira'

AN: short one, but the next is already in the works as this is being edited as of 11/21/23.