16

-----November 23-----

At the SPK headquarters Near was crouching on the floor for the third time and was surrounded by a circle of tarot cards faced down.

You were sitting in your chair holding a new juice box in your hand and Gevanni was sitting in another chair while looking at the computers. 

"A fake rule" started Near as he looked at the cards.

"Judging from previous events, there's no doubt that the notebook can cause heart attacks and control its victims, to a degree. As for burning or tearing the notebook..." continued Near.

"The notebook still exists and there is no way to test it." you said as you waved your juice box around, making the juice swish around and create sound.

"In that case..." began Near again as he brought both ends of the card towards the middle before letting go, making it swing into the air before landing slowly on the ground. The card had flipped over and it revealed the "Death" card.

"The fake rule is the rule that a person will die if they don't write down a name within 13 days." you said, stabbing the foil on the straw hole, inserting the straw into the box.

Near nodded at you and said. "Gevanni".

Gevanni turned around and Near said, "get me L".

"Yes" replied Gevnanni.

"Yes?" responded L.

"L, we've caught Mello. But he escaped." Near said, looking between three tarot cards.

"However, we were able to interrogate him a little." continued Near.

"He didn't escape. You let him escape. Isn't that right?" said L, unamused.

"No, he really did escape. By the way, Mello said that there is a Shinigami attached to the notebook. Have you been able to confirm any such entity?" asked Near.

"Yes, Shinigami do exist. I kept it a secret because i didn't think that you'd believe me." responded L.

"I'd like to talk to the Shinigami about some things. The things that bothers me the most is the fact that there is a fake rule written within the notebook." 

"There's a fake?" asked L.

"Yes. L, tell me your thoughts. If there is a fake rule, which one do you think it is?" asked Near.

"By elimination, it would have to be the one that requires the owner of the notebook to write a name within 13 days, or die." Replied L.

"I thought you'd say that. I think so too."

"Shinigami. Is there a fake rule among the rules written within the notebook?" asked L to the Shinigami (Ryuk).

"So there's a Shinigami there?" asked Near with a smirk.

"Yes." replied L.

"I see. I pretty much get the full picture. In other words, Kira is there and he's making the Shinigami lie." said Near as he flipped over a card called "the devil" and placed it next to "the death".

There were a few moments of silence from L's end so Near started talking again.

"Well then, how about testing it in this way? I will write Mello's name in the notebook. When Mello dies, and if i die 13 days later, Kira wins. I don't mind." said Near calmly. 

This made you pause for a second to look back at Near before continuing to sip your juice with a small smirk. 

'Seeing Near test the second L is fun' you thought.

"Even if testing the 13-day rule benefits the Kira investigation, there shouldn't be any drawbacks. I shall put my life on the line. 

"Wait a minute. We need to think about the suggestion." said L.

No more than two minutes passed before you heard a response from L.

"Near, we cannot allow you to test the notebook."

"I thought you would say that. And lastly, one more thing. To the members of the Japanese task force: Was there ever a time when the Second L was thought to be Kira?" asked Near twirling a strand of hair.

"If you've listened to our conversation and want to help my investigation. Call the number I'm about to give you. I'll answer." said Near before giving them a number and hanging the call up.

-----November 25-----

It was a normal morning in the SPK headquarters when the riot started at the base of the building.

Near was on the floor, facing the big monitor and Rester was standing on the left of him, you on the right. Halle and Gevanni were on the computers.

"Near, (F/N). At this rate, we'll really be dragged out." said Rester.

The big monitor changed from the cameras of the building with the signature logo of L.

"What's wrong, Near? Is this a plan by Mello to finish off the SPK? Or is it because the SPK is so poorly structured that even the public was able to discover your location?" said L.

You drank the last of your juice and threw the box away towards the trash can and Near angerly crushed the head of a robot action figure.

It was obvious that L had lied and this led you to further believe he was Kira, his attempt was also childish that could almost make you laugh.

"Near, you have to get out of there." said L.

"You have some nerve saying that, being Kira." Said Near twirling a strand of hair while making s semi circle of action figures.

Near kept a calm voice but you knew Near was annoyed by the riot, but kept it mostly hidden.

"You're still saying that?" asked L.

"There are other organizations that are chasing Kira. We get attacked as soon as i begin to suspect you. The timing is too convenient." said Near, flicking  the robot action figure closest to the middle.

"Near, you've made some kind of mistake and are making too many assumptions." said L.

"Members of the task force. Kira is probably among you. Think carefully." said Near before ending the call.

"Near, (F/N). We've got to get away immediately." said Rester with a worried expression.

"They're really such foolish people." said Near, flicking over another action figure.

His comment made you chuckle a bit before heading to the mini fridge to get another juice box. And then another that you stuffed in your pocket for later.

I'm not surprised that there are people who follow Kira. Since they hope Kira will bring justice to evildoers." said Near, flicking another action figure down.

"The people who are storming in here are different. They really are worthless people. Selfish people who only want to have some fun." said Near, knocking over three more action figures, only leaving the one in the middle.

"I know that, but right now..." said Rester with a more worried expression.

"Let's use L's fortune and the Anti-Kira people we hired." said Near while picking the actions figures one by one and carrying them in his arms.

"But if we carry out that plan, once..." started Rester.

You decided to drink and throw away the juice box you had and helped Near by carrying the action figure he couldn't carry anymore.

"Let's do it. We should be all ready prepared. It should be interesting." said Near with a slight smirk.