14

"I have something to ask you."

"What is it?" asked Near, the sound of the typing keyboard louder than you could remember.

"It's about the phone call you had with the second L. Why did you say only seven instead of 8 top members? Why did you not mention me as part of the group effort." You asked, still having to look at the side of his face.

Near stopped typing, and left his fingers on the keys for a moment before turning around to look at you with a straight face like always.

"I was hoping you would forget it, but I guess nothing slips your mind." He sighed.

"Does it have to do with something that i will do undercover? Maybe some infiltration?" You asked, while fiddling with you thumbs.

"No, none of that. You prefer to work in the background like right now instead of more forward attempts. I wouldn't put you in the path of danger knowing that something could go wrong, especially when it comes to Kira."

"Then what is it?" You asked, tilting your head and subconsciously moving your chair closer to him, curious. 

"As i mentioned earlier i don't want to voluntary put you in the way of danger and letting the Japanese police know, which Kira extracts his information, would be doing just that."

 He paused for a moment and looked straight at your eyes and also moved closer to you and your chair.

"Also, if Kira manages to kill me I would want you to take over as you are just as capable as me and you would know what to do to bring Kira down. I don't plan to let that happen, but it's always a possibility." Said Near calmly.

You sighed. You knew that both you and him always talked about your lives so carelessly, but you felt your eyebrows furrow when he said that. 

"Is something wrong? It's not like you to be hurt from not being included in the credit." Said Near with a tone of curiosity and confusion.

"I'm not hurt by not being included, i still don't get bothered by that" You began

"I just- I'm not sure how to put this, but i would prefer if you didn't take you life so lightly." You said calmly.

"Ah. I apologize. It's surprising to here you truly worried about someone else and their life. I find that comforting" Said Near forwardly.

"Oh, yeah. Of course" You said before turning to the computer again. 

'Worried?' you thought.

It's true that you told people you were worried about them when in reality you knew that they were going to be completely fine so you didn't actually feel true concern.

You zoned out, trying to think about the last time you felt this way and why you were feeling concern now. 

-----October 13-----

It was the next day and the team was in the headquarters waiting for any new directions from L as he was the one in charge now.

 Near and you didn't do anything when the news channel reported an airplane going to L.A. had changed course to drop off a passenger while also holding the other passengers hostage.

Near was stacking dice cube, making it look almost like a city with large buildings and you were in your chair like always, watching.

That's when the Director of the FBI got a phone call.