Chapter 2

Rita's POV:

I'm halfway through my pregnancy and my bump is oh so tiny. I found out that I'm having a girl. A daughter. I'm so excited. I'm actually relieved that I'm having a daughter instead of a son, because if a mermaid were to have a son, they had to give them up due to the whole mermaid vs merman war. If I'm being honest, I'd never be able to give my baby up.

I put together the crib in my room and all the new baby clothes away. Harry would have loved preparing for our little one. I then felt movement, I put my hand to my stomach and smiled "Mummy loves you so much my darling."

I really wanted a swim, it seemed like I had a craving for swimming just as much as seafood. I'm so excited to take my little girl for swims to Mako, and teach her how to be a mermaid.

When I got into the water and transformed, I still had my little bump. I won't be swimming as fast, as I don't want to hurt my little girl.

As I set off into the ocean, I saw a dolphin. She came close and cuddled into my pregnant belly. Thankfully I speak fluent Dolphin. The dolphin said her name was Christina, and that she can tell I'm going to be a great mum. I smiled and Christina wanted me to swim with her.

As we swam, I felt my baby girl wriggling about like crazy. I can tell she loves the ocean already...

Two Months later:

My bump is slightly bigger, but apparently not the average size of a pregnant land dweller. I hope my baby girl is okay. I'm swimming with Christina and I felt a horrible pain. Christina could tell something was wrong. "Please get Veridia." I said in Dolphin, Christina nodded and swam to find Veridia. I swam back to the Grotto.

Once I was dry and had my legs, I stumbled from the pool to the Grotto. This pain is excruciating - what's wrong with my baby girl?

I was sat in the Grotto when Veridia came rushing in. "What's happened?" She asked panicked. "I- I don't know. I'm in horrible pain." I groaned. Veridia looked in between my legs and said "She's coming." My heart was racing. "No no no. It's too early. Female land dwellers carry their babies 9 months, I have a couple of months left." I broke down in tears. "Well she must be ready because I've just seen her head. Rita I need you to push." Something is wrong I just know it is. I pushed with all my might until I heard her. My baby girl's cry. "I-is she okay?" I trembled. Veridia moved to sit next to me, holding a very tiny bundle. "She's fine. Absolutely gorgeous." She smiled and handed me my baby girl. Oh my goodness. She is beautiful. "Caitlan." I whispered with a tear in my eye. Me and Veridia took Caitlan to the pool and we gently got in, after ten seconds Caitlan transformed into a tiny baby mermaid. "She's going to fit into the pod brilliantly. Aunty Veridia can tell she'll be the top of the class of mermaid school. Just like her mummy." Veridia smiled. "We're not coming back to the pod Veridia, I had a choice to make when the Mermaid Council told me to choose between the pod and Harry. My life is here. And so will Caitlan's." I held Caitlan protectively, close to my chest. Veridia looked annoyed yet hurt. "I know that I banished you when I became Head of the Council but I had no choice at the time. Please come back Rita." She pleaded, but I turned the offer down. Veridia swam off back to the pod angrily. I felt a tear fall down my cheek, I then looked down at my baby girl, snoozing away against my chest. I gently planted a kiss on her forehead and cuddled her.

Once I dried myself and Caitlan, I carried her out onto the balcony and looked out to the ocean. I sat down and cradled her in my arms, her tiny hand held in mine. "It's just you and me sweetheart. You and me against both worlds. Mummy loves you so so much." I whispered.

After I fed Caitlan, I gently placed her into her crib and laid down myself. I felt myself fall asleep. I don't even know how long I was asleep for until I was abruptly awaken by Caitlan crying. "Mummy's here baby girl, it's ok." I whispered. I lifted her out of her crib and laid her on my chest; instantly she stopped crying. "You've got me wrapped around your little finger already my darling." I smiled as I cuddled my baby girl. I laid her down next to me, still cuddling her and she fell back asleep. "When I lost your daddy, a part of my heart has been empty and always will be empty. But you fill my heart, sweetheart. I'll never let anything happen to you." I whispered and planted a kiss on my Caitlan's head as she snoozed away, I then fell back asleep myself.

Okay, this is a wee bit longer chapter. I hope y'all like it