Chapter 14

I quickly buckled Kyla in her carseat and drove to Kassie's house

I quickly buckled Kyla in her carseat and drove to Kassie's house. My mom is hell bent on ruining everything I've built with my wife. My anger boiled over as I hopped out of my truck.

"Kass, Kyla's in the back seat." I watched as Kassie walked from her car to mine. I took a long, deep breath. I didn't want to hurt my mom, but her actions enraged me.

"Steven."She greeted me.

"Mom, get in your car and go home or do you want me to call dad to drag you there?" My father would never hurt my mom, but he was the only person who could reign her in.

"Why do you always come to her rescue? Evelyn said you two were getting to know each other." My mother was actually pleading a case to tear my family apart.

"Mom, I'm fucking married, get your shit and go home." I pinched the bridge of my nose, trying to form an appropriate reply.

"She tried to kill your baby Steven. She can't care that much about you if she doesn't want to carry your child." Mom yelled. I clenched my fist.

"Mom, either way it goes, I'll always love my wife. As you can see she is pregnant and I won't allow you to harass her."

"That's not what Evelyn said." I groaned internally. I opened my mom's car door. "Son, I didn't mean to upset you. I know you can do so much better. I don't understand why you settled. Kassie's always been damaged goods."

I bit down hard on my lip, controlling my anger. "Fuck Evelyn. If anyone's damaged it's you. Dad didn't throw your ass out on the curb so don't tell me anything about my wife. Get in your damn car. You have thirty fucking seconds to leave." She finally cranked up her car and drove away.

My mom and whoever she told knows Kassie went to get an abortion and didn't. I can't blame the alcohol, it was me. I should've talked to my wife.

Our relationship isn't strong enough for this type of conflict. I'll tell her after the baby is born. I don't want her to stress right now.

I opened my car door, helping Kassandra step down so she wouldn't fall while carrying Kyla's car seat.

"What did she want? And how does she know where I live?"

"Figuring that out is my top priority. Do you mind if I stay here? I don't want you and Ky to be alone." Kassie struggled to lift Kyla out of her carseat, I picked her up instead.

"That's perfect. Thank you." Kassie said as we walked towards Kyla's room.

"I'm your husband. It's my job to keep you safe." I wrapped my arms around Kassie. "Go ahead and get some rest."

"Where are you sleeping?" Kassandra pointed at me.

"Wherever you're comfortable Kass." I didn't want to pressure her into anything.

"The couch works best." She said with a straight face then laughed. "You can sleep in my room. I expect to be cuddled minus the dick."

I followed Kassie to her room, watching as she changed into her pajamas, her belly still visible from the bottom of her shirt. "Come to bed."