Chapter 7

I admired Kassandra in her  blush pink baby doll dress

I admired Kassandra in her blush pink baby doll dress. She stood in front of the mirror curling her hair. I remember being able to read her mind, when she was upset or excited. Now her thoughts are evading me.

We're getting ready to attend my mom's birthday brunch.  I asked Kassandra three times if she was sure she wanted to go. She said yes, but I know Kassandra values our relationship. She will do things when she doesn't want to just to make me happy. I wish she wouldn't. I would never force her to do anything that makes her uncomfortable.

My eyes went to Kyla who was wearing a purple polo dress. Her chubby little legs showing. My mom thinks my daughter looks like her just with darker skin. Kassie says hell no to that every time someone brings it up. I personally think she's a good mix between Kassandra and I.

"You ready Kass?" Brunch begins at eleven and it is already 10:30.

"Yes. You and Kyla can go to the car. I need to grab my purse and I'll be there." My wife flashed a simple smile.

I took Kyla to the car, grabbing a few toys that she could play with in her carseat. I hoped they would eliminate some of her crying. My baby girl hates her carseat. Kassandra tried everything to make car rides pleasant for Kyla, but nothing worked.

Kassie finally came to the car. She let out a deep breath as she buckled her seatbelt.

"Kass, we don't have to go. We can all stay home." I held her hand in mine.

"I want to go. I know how much it means to your mom." She replied.

My wife is the most benevolent person I've ever met. I appreciate her kind nature, but situations like this make me feel as if  I'm abusing her kindness. I know she doesn't want to go, but she wants to please me. So she says it's fine even when it's not.

"As long as you're sure." I pulled our car out of the garage. The drive to my parents house was about twenty minutes. My attempts to talk to Kass were met with one word answers. Her demeanor changed as I parked in my parents driveway.

I can remember when I first introduced Kassandra to my parents. My dad loved her. Besides his initial concerns about her age, he was supportive. Mom on the other hand called Kassie a gold digger and said "I should get what I need from her and move on."  She really thought I was using Kassandra for sex. Mom made sure to say it loud enough for Kassie to hear. 

The sweet Kassandra I know changed into someone else. She called my mom a miserable bitch and an old conniving whore then stormed out. Mom was shocked because she wasn't accustomed to people talking to her the way she talks to them. Of course, she expected me to end my relationship with Kassie. Instead I didn't talk to her or my uncle Theodore, her brother, for over a year.

Kassie had the right to defend herself and I was going to stand with her. That's when I knew I loved her. As long as I have her, I don't need anyone else.