Chapter 31

The late night calls to Steven's phone were starting to annoy me

The late night calls to Steven's phone were starting to annoy me. Especially since they never woke him up, just me.

"Steven, your phone is ringing. Answer it before I hurt you." 

"Okay." Steven's raspy voice replied. As the conversation went on he became more and more concerned. "Yes, I understand. Thank you."

"Is it anything important?"

"Nope. My mom is on a psychiatric hold after her outburst yesterday. They need me to sign a few papers so she can be admitted into a program." Steven flipped his pillow over and went back to sleep.

I aspire to be that level of unbothered. I tried to sit up, but Steven's long arms barred me from doing so. He wrapped his hand around my waist, pulling my body into his.

"Go back to sleep." He mumbled into the pillow. He knew that would be impossible because once I'm up, I'm up. I guess his solution is to hold me hostage until my body gives out. I wiggled away a bit, but he threw his leg over mine fully cocooning me. Apparently, I had no choice in the matter, so I snuggled under my husband and went to sleep.

The sunlight seeped in as our curtains automatically opened. The light shined brightly against my closed eyes. The first thing I noticed was the lack of heaviness draped over me. I was free to move. I reached for Steven, but there was an empty spot.

"Good morning Mrs. Henderson." I slowly sat up as Steven carried in a breakfast tray. He leaned down, placing a kiss on my forehead.

"How sweet of you." I reached over the bacon and eggs grabbing the French toast and fruit from the top of the tray. "You're not eating?" I noticed Steven only had a cup of coffee.

"I'm not hungry. I'll grab something later. I have to work a few hours today." He read the emotions on my face. "Only a few hours. Yesterday's situation put me behind."

"Steven... You promised, we'd spend the day together."  I whined, hoping that he'd change his mind. "Can you work from home?"

"No and you know why. If you're around I can't stay away from you.  I have a business call today and I'm sure following my wife around the house would be deemed unprofessional."

I swallowed my emotions. Yesterday was extremely difficult for him. I did my best to be supportive. When he stepped into his closet to get dressed in his suit of the day, I walked downstairs to make him lunch.

Between Sebastian and Kyla spending time with my mom and Steven working, I won't have anything to do until 7pm. I can't wait for Mr. Henderson, Meredith and the twins to arrive home. I love snuggling their precious baby girls. I'd be lying if I said it didn't give me baby fever, but now isn't the time. Steven and I's relationship is perfect again, but I want Bash and Ky to get a little older.

The sound of Steven crashing down the stairs startled me. "Are you okay?" I yelled. 

"No, I slipped on a fuzzy purple sock that someone left on the stairs." Steven stared at me. I turned and looked over my shoulder as if someone else was behind me.