Chapter 29

"What the hell?" A call jolted me from my sleep

"What the hell?" A call jolted me from my sleep. "How is she going to have a baby in a foreign country? Steven, wake up." I elbowed him harder than I meant to.

"Damn Kassie, break my ribs." Steven mumbled under his breath reaching for his phone. "Kassandra Henderson, it's 2:45 am."

"I can tell time Steven. Meredith's water broke. Your dad called six times." I jumped out of bed in a full blown panic.

"Pacing the floor isn't going to solve the problem. Hand me the phone please." I gave Steven my phone. Of course he managed to be the perfect problem solver. I rolled my eyes as he discussed all the options his dad had and how he could possibly help. "It's going to be okay, dad. We'll be there as soon as possible." He hung up my phone then picked up his.

"What are you doing?" I questioned.

"Calling my pilot to fuel up the jet. I'll get Bash ready, you get Kyla ready and if we hurry we can make it to the airport in an hour."

"Okay." I breathed a sigh of relief. I hurried and got ready then packed everything we'd need for Sebastian and Kyla. I called Ms. Deborah, she agreed to come help us with the babies. Thanks to Steven we actually arrived at the airport in forty-five minutes.

Once we were in the air, my tense body relaxed.

"Now, tell me why you're panicking?" Steven wrapped his arms around my shoulders.

"Meredith's only thirty-three weeks pregnant." I fluttered my eyelashes. I didn't want to cry, but I deeply care for Meredith. I know this isn't something she wanted to happen.

"My dad shouldn't have taken her out of the country. What was he thinking?" Steven pulled my body closer to his.

"He wanted to do something special for her. I can't imagine the amount of guilt he feels." The thought made my eyes swell again. "They went to the Maldives and everything went great. He probably didn't think about the consequences." I sniffled into Steven's shoulder not wanting to go into a full blown cry.

I heard footsteps inching closer to us. I didn't bother looking up.

"What have I told you about worrying?" Ms. Deborah's voice interrupted my thoughts.

"That it doesn't change the situation." I replied.

"So what should you do?" She questioned.

"Stop worrying." I responded. We laughed a bit. 

Ms. Deborah has been a guiding light for me. She cares for my children and I when she doesn't have to. She also keeps Steven in line when needed. She is a second mom to me.

"Thanks again for joining us. We promise you'll get plenty of vacation time. We'll switch off with Bash and Ky. You should be able to relax a bit." Steven spoke to Ms. Deborah.

"Don't worry about me, Mr. Henderson. I'll be just fine." Ms. Deborah replied.

Steven is such a serious person, but it irks me that someone older than his dad calls him Mr. Henderson. I can understand at work, but they aren't at work.