Epilogue

I never thought I'd be one of the parents that sit outside of the principal's office

I never thought I'd be one of the parents that sit outside of the principal's office. Yet here I am. Steven sat next to me trying to calm my nerves.

"I don't understand. Kyla and Sebastian have never been in trouble before."

"We don't know what happened Kass. It might not be as bad as you think." Steven replied, caressing my back.

"Mr. and Mrs. Henderson, we're ready for you." We followed the principal's secretary until we arrived at the conference room. Principal Marks sat on one side of the table while Sebastian, Kyla, Amelia and Amiyah sat on the other.

"What happened?" I looked at each child until Kyla spoke up. My daughter can't help, but tell the truth.

"Jason took Amelia's lunch money. I asked him for it, but he wouldn't give it back. Then Sebastian walked over and took it from him. Jason called Bash the b-word. Jason's in fifth grade, mom."

"B-word?" Steven interjected.

"Yes, dad." Kyla continued. "That word. Then Sebastian punched him in the face and they started fighting." My daughter breathed a sigh of relief.

I turned to look at the principal. "Why are my children in trouble for defending themselves? I didn't see any other parents in the office. I hope Jason's parents have been informed."

"Mrs. Henderson, that's just the beginning of the story. Once Jason and Sebastian started fighting, Kyla and Amiyah jumped in hitting him with their books."

"That's not true." Amiyah yelled. "We only hit him because Jason's friend Patrick was pushing Bash, too." Now, I was livid. My nine year-old son shouldn't have to deal with these kinds of problems at school.

Before I could say anything, Steven took over. "Let me get this straight. A boy in fifth grade takes my little sister's money. My son takes it back then gets called a profanity. Afterwards he's hit by the thief and the thief's friend. But he gets in trouble." The tips of Steven's ears were red. I could feel the heat radiating off his body. I laced my fingers with his trying to calm him down, but it didn't work.

Steven wanted to rip Principal Marks and the other parents into shreds. The principal later apologized to all four kids. Steven still insisted on taking them home early.

My heart went out to Amelia. She's so sweet and kind. I hated that a boy two years older than her would try to bully her.

"Who's gonna call Meredith and your dad?" I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news and this is terrible.

I could only imagine how upset they both would be. I volunteered Steven to do it. Mr. Henderson insisted on letting Amelia explain the story. Each word was accompanied with heavy sobs which caused Kyla to cry then I started crying. Amiyah and Sebastian held strong. Steven was pissed off all over again. Meredith made an appointment to speak with the principal the next day.