Chapter 28

"How is everything? Do you need any help?" Steven asked over the phone

"No, everything's great. I only had to yell twice. I just want this to be perfect. It means so much to Meredith." I responded, walking around the venue to make sure the decorations are magnificent.

Today was Meredith's baby shower. The last six months have flown by. Meredith decided she didn't want to find out the gender of the baby until it's born. So, the decorations are gender neutral, but upscale. Clouds were painted on the ceiling with silver crystals hanging from them. Centerpieces were inspired from Meredith's office suite, with vases filled with silver crystals adorned with white flowers. I wanted everything to feel welcoming, but open. The only color we added were bits of gray here and there to make the design fuse together.

"Kassandra, it looks phenomenal." Mr. Henderson said, walking in the side door.

"Thank you, I really hope Meredith loves it."

"She'll love it, trust me. It reminds me of her living room, just more shiny." He let out a laugh, looking around taking in the scenery.

"The question is are you ready?" I turned to face my father-in-law.

"As ready as I'm going to be Kassandra. I'll see you in an hour." He walked around the venue taking in the real diamonds earrings, sitting in front of each seat as a thank you gift.

I needed this whole day to go off without a hitch. Meredith deserved it. An  itinerary was placed on each plate, letting guests know that this would be a spectacular event.

My heartbeat quickened as guests started to file in through the doors. Judging by the way their jaws dropped, I could see my choice of decorations were perfect. I waited for Steven to call when he was on the way with Kyla. Him and Sebastian would be with his dad for moral support.

My thoughts came back to the present time as I heard a loud gasp. Meredith walked through the doors. Then quickly towards me.

"Kassandra, I love it." She fanned her eyes trying not to cry. "I don't want to mess up my eyelashes or make-up." We both laughed as she hugged me tight. "Thank you so much."

"You deserve it. You're so welcome. We love you." I replied.

Meredith had become a part of our family. She even won Steven over with her cooking. Kyla loved going to her house and playing in make-up with her. Of course, Mr. Henderson's love for her trumped all ours combined. My soul breathed easier knowing he was happy, that he could be at home and at peace.

The caterers served delicious foods from the Caribbean. Meredith's favorite is saltfish, so I made sure it was on the menu. The games and music filled the space with laughter and fun. 

I was too sick to have a baby shower with Kyla and too depressed to have one with Bash. So, it means even more to me to give Meredith a beautiful day.

An hour into the baby shower, I called Steven informing him that they could join us. Meredith sat in the middle of the room opening the gifts her family, friends and colleagues bought her. Then, Mr. Henderson stepped through the door making his way to Meredith. Steven and Sebastian joined Kyla and I beside the cake table.