Chapter 16

I listened to the recording Kassandra handed me on my way to pick up Ms

I listened to the recording Kassandra handed me on my way to pick up Ms. Patrice and Kyla so she could meet her brother.

The words I said were harsh and Kassie deserved better. I hate myself for that. I tried not to let it dampen my day, but I should feel horrible about it. Kassandra would never betray me like that. 

When I arrived at Kassie's house, I adjusted my mood. I didn't want Ms. Patrice to sense anything. I turned the recording off and placed it in my glove box. She walked out with Kyla.

"I like her hair." I said taking Kyla from Ms. Patrice. I  buckled Ky in her car seat.

"Yes, granny worked a little magic. That way Kassie won't have to comb it for a week or so."

Kyla moved faster than she ever had when she saw Kass sitting down holding a baby. I slowly placed Ky on the bed.

"You have to be soft." Kassie stated. Kyla, of course, did the opposite until Ms. Patrice said "Kyla softly." Then she calmed her hand motions.

Whatever she's doing, I need to try it because it's working.

Kassie scooted closer to Kyla. Our daughter gently touched her brother's hand. She put kisses on his cheeks as Ms. Patrice took pictures.

"Have you two chosen a name yet?"

"Sebastian."  Kassie replied. "I love the meaning  and I think it fits him."

"Did she let you have a say, Steven?" Ms. Patrice laughed.

Kassie furrowed her eyebrows at me. "Yes, she did. We both like that name."

"Sebastian Sage Henderson. It balances with Kyla Kennedy Henderson. I love it." Our son already had a special place in Kassandra's heart.

My biggest fear is that she doesn't want me around. Her house is her safe haven. I didn't want to intrude on her personal space, but I don't want to miss anything with Kassie, Kyla or Sebastian.

"Steven." Kassandra slapped my hand. I had zoned out.

"Yes, baby girl."

"Can you hand Sebastian to my mom? I want to cuddle Kyla." She laid my son in my arms.

I walked towards Ms. Patrice, she softly picked up her grandson, giving him the lightest hugs.

"Oh he looks exactly like Steven." She remarked.

Kassie blew out. "I know." She groaned like I wasn't in the room. I looked at her. "No offense." She shrugged her shoulders.

"I'm partially hurt." I scoffed as if I was truly offended.

"You're fine." Kassandra replied. "I wanted him to look like me."

Kyla has both of our features. Our son had all mine and none of Kassie's.