50: Transition

Lucy was in high spirits for a couple of days because the rascal was calling her again. Danny was still busy but he found time for here even if it was for a few brief minutes.

Everyone else, on the other hand, was preparing for the wedding. The women were often on shopping trips, and Tania's parents had once been over to meet me as Gary wouldn't shut up about his 'godfather'. To my relief, they were good people and Tania was a wild yet level-headed girl.

Gary was happy with her. Everyone was happy with her.

I didn't care much because that man-child would finally be taken off my hands. But a part of me was happy for him. Even though he had a rough childhood, it all turned out well. He was happy.

Even Lucy was terribly excited about the wedding but I warned her that the media would be there. She was 10 weeks pregnant and her bump was starting to show. Either she'd have to wear loose clothes or she'd have to deal with them like a strong woman.

It was her choice, after all, and I was busy drafting an email on my laptop when Chelsea popped up as usual.

"Busy, Mr.Xander?"

She ruffled my hair—so annoying—and hurried up the stairs to meet Lucy. As of late, Chelsea barely acknowledged the fact that she was in my house. She came and went as she pleased. Maybe I liked to see that she wasn't hostile anymore, but a major part of me wanted her to respect the boundaries we had drawn.

She didn't, of course.

Chelsea willingly spent the night on most days, and we frolicked in bed for hours.

To my relief, she never brought old painful arguments into the conversation. We talked only about the good memories. The holidays, picnics, Lucy's antics, and the weird characters we had met along the way. Only the good memories, which were a lot.

Once I was done with work, I had to call a few investors. After rolling up my sleeves and unbuttoning the top buttons of my shirt, I walked around the living room with my phone in my hand.

Chelsea came back downstairs and the moment I saw her, I realised that something was wrong. She crossed her arms and stood by me, I took that as a sign to hang up.

"What's wrong?"

She took a deep breath, "Danny was on the phone with her just now... She was so excited to talk to him but..."

"But what?" I growled.

"He has to go back to Illinois to perform the surgery, Leo. She hung up as soon as he said it and switched off her phone. She cried a bit before falling asleep just now... She thinks he's purposefully ditching her..." Chelsea sighed.

"Fuck."

I ran a hand through my hair. This was bad.

"This was the damn reason I told her not to fall for a guy again."

"Don't blame her, Leo."

Frustrated, I sat down on the couch and Chelsea did the same. Her hand came over my thigh, gently oozing comfort, but it wasn't helping.

"Who do I blame now, huh? Danny has to work and Lucy's hormones are too childish to comprehend it. This is why nobody should fall in love."

Chelsea glanced at me, then retrieved her hand with a sigh. "I think we should leave them alone."

"Yeah, and let Lucy spiral down in depression and do something fucking stupid like you did?" I snapped.

Her glare met mine this time. Indirectly, I had called her a slut again and she understood it.