62: Analysis

I felt extremely uncomfortable in my sleep and on blinking my eyes open, I found a mask on my face. "He's back. He's conscious!" A nurse next to me shouted and hurried out of the room.

The last thing I remembered was arguing with Chelsea before passing out.

The excruciating pain in my chest had gone by now but all kinds of wires were attached to my body. I remembered seeing such an atmosphere when Chelsea got into that accident.

Danny and my ex-wife rushed into the room. When they pulled my mask down, I began coughing and the mild pain in my chest returned.

"Mr.Xander," Danny smiled at me, "don't scare us like that."

I glanced at Chelsea. She looked like a wreck with her palm pressed to her mouth. I could tell that she was in shock as she quietly sobbed while staring at me.

"You had a heart attack, sir. But now you're stable. Still, there are a couple of medicines that you'll need to take for a long time..." A random doctor informed me.

"I... I can't feel half my body..."

"It's a mild paralysis," the doctor replied.

"What? Will it get better?" Chelsea turned to them with tear-streaked cheeks.

"It will... In a week or two... It's just the right side. But it might return as you age."

Danny talked about something with the doctor and they left me alone with Chelsea. She sat on a chair beside the bed.

"How long have I been in here?" I whispered.

"Twelve hours..." she replied.

I scoffed a little, "Guess I'm really going to die, huh?"

Fresh tears streamed down her face as she glared at me, "I'll kill you if you die." Chelsea squeezed my paralyzed hand in hers and buried her warm face in my palm.

"That makes a lot of sense."

"Shut up." She kissed my hand.

Danny came back inside and I turned to him, "Does Lucy know?"

"She doesn't..." He rubbed the back of his neck, "You can't go home tonight, Mr.Xander. It would be better if you stayed under observation and get discharged in the morning."

I glanced at the clock that ticked half past ten, "Lucy's alone at home."

"If it's okay with you..." Danny sighed, "I'll stay with her for the night. She's already worried and I don't think it's a good idea to leave her like that."

I knitted my brows together but Chelsea squeezed my hand tightly. "Leave them alone," she whispered. After shooting glares at both of them, I turned away, "Tell her that I'll be fine..."

"Yes sir," Danny smiled and bid goodnight to Chelsea before leaving us.

"You could have stayed with her instead," I frowned.

"And leave your grumpy ass here by yourself? Not a chance," she bit back

"You're not leaving?"

"No. I'll sleep on the couch or something."

I stared at her for a while, "Will you take pity on me and marry me instead? If you do, you won't have to put up with me for too long considering-"

"I swear to god, say something dark one more time and I'll use the defibrillator while you're awake."

"Go ahead," I smiled.

"Asshole." She muttered under her breath.

I watched her as she moved around the room, talked to the nurses that came in, changed my drip, and helped me sit up to drink water. It was tough to move, as the whole of my right side felt limp. After dimming the lights, Chelsea fixed the pillows on her couch.