51: Emotional

I shut her door, turning a deaf ear to all the pleading.

No way in hell was I letting Lucy sleep alone so that Danny could sneak into her room in the middle of the night. Chelsea, who was hesitant, finally agreed to sleep in Lucy's room for the sake of my mental peace.

Danny was on the couch with a towel around his neck, and wearing a white t-shirt and pants that I hadn't worn yet. As if I'd ever give him the clothes I wore.

That privilege was reserved only for Chelsea.

He was watching the rain, drying his hair occasionally as I sat next to him. "I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow," Danny sighed.

Sonia placed two cups of hot chocolate in front of us and took the other two upstairs.

"When I asked you to prove it to her, I didn't mean this." I glared at the rascal and brought the cup to my lips.

He flashed a sheepish grin, "I couldn't think of anything more concrete than this, sir. But you're happy, right? For her?"

Of course, I was. Otherwise, I would have slammed his head into the goddamn table and splattered blood all over so that even his medical textbooks wouldn't save him.

I was happy, for Lucy's sake.

Moreover, it felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my chest.

Danny was religious. He would never take marriage as a joke. I trusted him on that part and now, I was happy because he wasn't playing around with my daughter's heart, unlike Nicholas Shaw.

"That's not important. If she wants this, I can't do anything about it. At one point or the other, I had to give up the reins of her life."

He smiled, "Thank you."

"But of course, I'll have certain conditions."

I wasn't going to let them go that easily.

"You're leaving tomorrow afternoon, yes?"

He nodded, "I'll come back as soon as possible."

"Whatever. Even when you get back, my home will remain completely off-limits. Consider yourself lucky because it's raining cats and dogs tonight."

He chuckled, "Noted sir."

"Also, you thought so far, you must have thought about your wedding," I muttered, hating the idea that Lucy was indeed leaving home. It pained me so much that my chest was literally contracting in disgust.

"Uh... Well..." He blushed, "I don't think that we should hurry with the wedding. She needs to have a healthy delivery... That's more important than anything, after that, we'll get married at her pace."

I blinked at him.

Fear clutched me again.

It wasn't like all those other times. My heart was suddenly erratic.

"Danny... You're treating her well..."

He blinked, "Uh... I think I am, sir... um... Is something wrong?"

"The question is," I took another sip of my hot chocolate, "Can I have your word that this is going to last?"

He raised his eyebrows in amusement, "Do you really think that I'll stop being nice to her...?"

"People change, Danny. Both of you will change. Fuck it, you're going to be a father, you're going to put up with a lot of shit, you're going to get married, and even though I hate it... You are going to start living together," I gulped, "As a family. It's going to be the hardest thing you've ever done in your life. At one point, what if you grow tired of it?"