Chapter 21 - Wilting rose

;Hero's POV;

The rose on my nightstand begins to curl, certain petals falling. Only a few more days of not caring before its putrefaction state begins. The hospital is not a good gardening environment, either.

Before even realizing it, I had awaken. The hospital room is blindingly bright. I squint my eyes, grimacing at the thought of doing anything today. I frisk through my hair as I sigh and get up off the hospital bed. I make my way to the washroom.

I splash the water on my face as I stare into the mirror. I really cannot see myself anymore, as if I am just the vessel; a husk, a shell of who I formally was. The water drips off of my face as I realize how weird I probably am to just stand here. I make my departure and go to Basil's room.

Room 85, and every other room on floor 5: are structured slightly differently than the ones on floor 8. It sticks out to me and rattles across my seemingly empty brain. I take one step at a time to the elevator, my vision slightly static.

As I reach Basil's room, I realize I should probably take better care of the rose. I had been given one years ago, and failed to take care of it through my self-loathing. Despite everything, I still managed to feel sorry for myself.

Knock-knock.

"Basil?"

"Oh.. uhm.. y-yes, sorry.. come in..!" I hear a voice stammer from the inside of the room. I twist the knob. Click. The room is ever-so-slightly brighter. I cough before speaking, "Alright so.. uhm.. hi, Basil.." I smile at him, trying to meet my unfulfilled quota of masquerade. "Hello.. Hero.. so, how are you doing?.." he says blankly, I can tell what he is doing.

He is suffering because of me.

It's all my fault..

"Ah.. Hero?.. are you okay?.." ..I had forgotten what I was doing for a second. "Well.. yeah, for the most part, yes. And how about you, Basil?" He seems to be interrogating me, we make eye contact and I look away after a split second. "Er... yeah. I'm doing well, thank you for asking.." Basil replies. I stand in silence for a second, trying to think of conversation matter... got it. "Thank you for the rose from earlier, I'm trying my best to take care of it."

Liar.

Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar

I exhale...

"Oh.. uhm... thank you, Hero. I appreciate it.." Basil faintly smiles. There is an awkward silence exchanged between us. Basil stares out the window. I do feel quite sympathetic, he had lost all of his friends. But I just can't muster up anything besides dread, it fills the room. Basil fumbles his breathing for a second, he looks at me funny. Like he just can't keep up his smiling. I hear him sniffle. "Basil?.." he looks up at me with tears welling in his eyes. Upon closer inspection; they are puffed up and inflamed, as though he had been crying a lot as of late. "Is everything.. really, truly okay?.." he bites his lip as he collapses into his arms. I used to do the same, so I have no right to blame him.. not that I had the intent to, anyways. I take another step forward towards his hospital bed. "I.. understand, Basil. I- I should know, truly. I just can't- or.. well... Basil, I'm sorry it's just that you.. you have... a full life left to live. So please, just.. don't follow in their footsteps. No matter how impossibly tempting it may seem.." I trail off at the last bit as I realized that I have spoken more than I intended to. But, I think I speak on the true side.