Dearly Beloved pt. 2

I feel dizzy with the number of names and stories swimming around in my skull. This is all too much to take. I help a thin woman in a floral dress out of the passenger seat of the nearest truck. She gives me a warm smile, holding her toddler close to her chest. She then gives me a once over, looking confused. The little girl does the same.

"Do I know you? You don't look like one of ours?" I chuckle, shaking my head.

"No, I'm Tommy's girl. I'm just making sure everyone is comfortable or if they need anything." The woman brightens immediately at Tommy's name.

"Good for Tommy. Do you know where Henriette is? I need some mom talk to help me feel sane. This one doesn't sleep worth a dime. Won't keep her shoes on either." I point over to where the junk cars are. The shade is great for little ones to keep from burnin' up. The woman begins to walk off before looking over her shoulder at me. "Name's Loretta by the way! Hope to see more of ya!" The shy little girl waves to me from her mom's arms. I turn around to a man who looks alarmingly like a young Drayton. The man slaps my hand into a shake and gives me a smile that sends chills up my spine.

"Hi, there! Havin' fun yet with our little group here?" I nod slowly.

"Everyone's been real nice so far. If you want, Drayton should be done cookin' the sausages." The man nods and is about to speak again before a woman in a pantsuit appears.

"Don't try to butter the creep up. I wouldn't try anything Vilmer that's not just some girl, that's Tommy's girl." Vilmer's smile disappears and he looks over to the mystery woman.

"And how would you know any of that, huh?" The woman cocks her head, her big hair catching my eye. I wonder how much hairspray she uses a day—definitely a city girl.

"Us girls talk on the phones. It isn't my fault you men don't know how to keep in touch." The two body check you as they go off to the tree line to argue, all the elders shaking their heads at the display. A man nearly makes me jump out of my skin as he appears next to me.

"Vilmer and Darla got no damn discipline. I don't know why everyone says Junior is the stupid one when Vilmer wasn't even born with sense." I clutch my chest as I turn around to look at him. He cackles, waving at me with a metal hook. "Didn't mean to scare ye sister, they call me Tinker. You must be the sweet sister my little cousin is swoonin' over."

"Yes sir, right now I'm just stuck in a loop of meetin' and greetin' people. I didn't know Tommy had so many loved ones." Tinker waves his hand.

"Don't need to call me sir. I ain't nothin' but a tow truck driver for the county. I HAVE been workin' on a little gift for Junior, mind helping me hide it?" I clap my hands and nod. The man reaches into the back of his truck and pulls out something wrapped in cloth. "Sorry if I don't tell ye what it is. Can't have you accidentally tellin' him before dinner is made." I shrug it off. Seems fair.

"I never expected such a cheerful funeral service honestly it's...weird. Not an unwelcome distraction but weird." Tinker chuckles as I lead him to the cupboard underneath the stairs. No one really uses it anymore since its full of spiders and none of the shelves are intact.

"Nubbins was a weird one. He was cheerful and full of life. Us Sawyers believe in celebrating life more than mourning it. Plus I'm surprised the boy didn't get got sooner with his hitchhiking. He was a trusting boy. Too damn trusting for his own good." I feel my eyes begin to water, letting myself lean against the wall.

"He was a good friend. We actually met while he was hitchhiking. I can't be in my room anymore with all his pictures hanging up. They make me so happy but they hurt right now. I was there and... it's all too much. Too damn much." Tinker rubs my arm with his good hand.

"Nubbins shined brighter than some of the chrome I've polished. He's up there with the Chrome Man himself, probably sampling some of the best hash in the universe." I chuckle, wiping my eyes. Nubbins used to mention smoking with his cousins sometimes. Guess it was with Tinker. The nice man starts to lead me to the dining room. "Let's get you back to Junior, he'll set you up a plate and help you forget all the sadness that pollutes that pretty skull. Some sausage and mashed potatoes are good for the blues."

Before he can take me to the dining room, a shrill whooping and scream fill the house. Everyone bombards the doors and windows to see what is making that sound with Mama at the front. Out of the dining room comes Thomas with a man in his arms. The poor man is being swung around like a doll, holding on to Tommy's apron for dear life. I can't even get a good look at who Thomas has as he spins and skips in circles. Mama chuckles, shaking her head.

"Tommy, honey, I don't think poor Chop Top can breathe when you hold him like that." Thomas crows in disappointment as he drops his brother Chop Top. The man hunches over for air before laughing. He sounds just like Nubbins. I look the man over and notice he's still in his military dress uniform, although it's wrinkled and untucked now. His head is shaved with a huge stitched gash on one side.

The man looks at me and points. "Is this the girl you were scribblin' about in your letters? Gotta say I'm your number one fan. Tommy's writin' got a lot better since he met you. Gave me lots to read while Uncle Sam stitched me up." The man throws up a peace sign and cackles in an all too familiar way. He walks over to Mama and hunches down to hug her, his lanky arms grasping her in a bear hug. The old woman begins to sob as she holds her son to her chest.

"Oh Chop, my baby. I'm so glad you're home. We need you now more than ever." Chop Top rubs Mama's back.

"I'm happy to be home Mama. Vietnam was great but I'm just happy to be home and finally have some dry clothes." Mama holds the man's hands before leading him up the stairs.

"I still have some clothes that should fit you. It's your old stuff but it shouldn't be too tight." Thomas takes my hands and starts dancing with me instead. I go along to his imaginary beat as we swing around in circles. His brother is home in one piece and all is not lost. It'll be hard starting over but this...celebration of life is a good start. Maybe one day the scar on my heart won't throb so painfully.