(17) Unknown Motives

Y/n's POV:

I wake up an hour and a half earlier than usual. After breakfast, followed by some light stretching, I decide to go for a jog around the area. I've got plenty of time before I've got to meet Mami in the park, so I may as well make the most of it. I get dressed into something casual but appropriate for exercise and head out.

A few minutes into jogging, I see someone a small distance ahead of me. Long brown hair flowing in the breeze. The same attractive figure, hidden under a tracksuit. I call her name, running a little faster in order to catch up:

Y/n: "Hey, Ichinose!" I say as I approach her.

The turns around before stopping. I catch up to her and she speaks:

Chizuru: "Oh, hey. You're here too? Well it's nice to see you're taking care of your health." She says casually before getting ready to continue. She turns around, talking once more:

"Would you like to run with me?" She asks, facing the other way. 

I say yes and we take off with Ichinose in front while I'm a little bit behind rather than going side by side, allowing people to walk past us easily if needed.

We go around the park, slowly building up to more of medium-paced run. Along the way, we converse about our plans for the day:

Chizuru: "So, have you got anything planned today?" She asks, a little less monotone than she was the previous day.

Y/n: "I promised to talk to someone later on when uni hours end, but if you need anything from me, I'd be happy to postpone it." I say earnestly, to which she looks at me seriously before replying:

Chizuru: "No, I've got a client today, that's all. Even if I did, you shouldn't waste it on me when you've already promised it on someone else. Your word is your bond after all, never break it." She says sharply, to which I just nod, apologizing.

A little more time passes until I ask a question of my own:

Y/n: "Are you feeling better?" I ask cautiously

Chizuru: "...I am. I'm still looking for ways to work around it." She says quickly.

I still don't know what 'It' is since she never responded to my text, but I'll just take her word for it. I'd rather not press on any further.

We finish a couple of laps around the park before we change direction back to the way we came. Being a little tired from all the running, we slow down, eventually walking back. We part ways, going into our respective apartments.

I immediately get to writing, remembering I missed doing any this morning. I think my current story is coming together pretty well. Maybe a couple more days and the whole storyline will be finished! Hours pass until it's time to meet Mami for whatever she wanted to talk to me about. I decide to wear jeans and a plain coat with a t-shirt underneath. 

I arrive at the park to see her on her phone, waiting for me. Dressed in an expensive coat and a short skirt, attracting stares from all males in the area. I call out her name, disappointing her 'admirers', causing them to leave.

Y/n: "Hey, Mami!" I yell, causing her to put her phone away before looking back to me with a smile.

Mami: "Hi Y/n! I'm glad you could make it. How have you been?" She asks, to which I answer honestly.

Y/n: "Things have been going quite well lately. How about you?" I ask back, to which she playfully replies:

Mami: "Oh, you know, same old, same old~"

Y/n: "So, what was it you wanted to talk about?" I question, to which her smile seems to grow upon hearing.

Mami: "I just wanted to hang out, that's all. Like I said at the beach, I haven't really spent much time with you compared to Kibe and Kazu!" She says cheerfully.

I was about to say something back but the sound of my tummy rumbling caught the both of us by surprise. 

Mami: "Hungry? How about we go to the local cafe?" She asks, to which I nod in agreement. 

As we walk there we get stuck into conversation, never a time when she stops asking questions. I in return, do the same. She's been quite pleasant so far. Maybe she really just wants to spend more time with me... I thought. 

Turns out, she's quite fun to be around. She's good at making jokes and certainly isn't an airhead. We eventually reach the cafe and I order cinnamon bun, whilst Mami orders some Mochi. Once we receive them, we both go to an empty table. After eating, we engage in more conversation. For example, I learned that her birthday is on the 13th of November and her favourite colour is gold, which for some reason just makes sense to me. 

Later, she asks about Kibe and Kuri, to which I answer, providing only minor details. I don't really like to mention too much about my friends behind their backs, if anything at all. The topic of conversation then moves onto Kazuya, which puts me on guard a little, though I manage to hide it.

Mami: "Y/n, does Kazuya have a new girlfriend?" She asks casually, to which I quickly reply, ready for such a question

Y/n: "Not that I know of, why?" I say, trying to take a page out of Ichinose's book, acting surprised.

It seems to work as she presses further:

Mami: "I saw him walking from a karaoke bar a not too long ago with a girl. She looked younger than him and had a blue ribbon in her hair." She elaborates, causing me to sweat a little.

She knows... Wait, has Kazuya not told everyone about Sarashina yet? Honestly, knowing him I'd have expected him to shout it out across the rooftops. That's awfully mature of him to not tell everyone straight away. Maybe he's just waiting for the right time.

Oh crap, I haven't responded in a while. To compensate for my late answer, I make it look like I was in deep thought about her question:

Y/n: "Hmm, perhaps, or it could just be a relative. I wouldn't take Kazuya as the type to socialise outside his friend group too often." I say, chuckling nervously. 

She believes me, ending the conversation.

Mami: "I see." She says, quickly looking back at her phone.

"Wow, it that the time already. Sorry Y/n but I've got to go now. I had a great time! We should do this again more often." She says, flashing a gorgeous smile before leaving. 

A couple of minutes later, I leave, going back to my apartment. Before going to bed, I send Kazuya a text, to which he responds pretty quickly:

Y/n: [Hey Kaz, just to let you know Mami saw you and Sarashina walking back from a karaoke bar. Have you not told anyone about her yet?]

Kazuya: [What!? She saw us!? I'm actually walking home with Ruka right now, so she can see this too. We planned to let our respective friend groups know in a couple of days' time]

Y/n: [I don't know what she's planning, or whether she's planning anything at all, but don't let your guard down, alright? Same for you Sarashina]

Kazuya: [She's not that bad Y/n. I doubt she's planning anything, but thanks for letting me know. Also Ruka said you can call her by her first name] 

Y/n: [Alright. Have a good night Kaz, you too Ruka] 

I finish typing, getting to bed and falling asleep, ready for the next day!