(31) The 'Girlfriend' 2

Y/n's POV:

Almost a month later, I set off, dressed in similar clothes to when I went to see the play. Today's the last of my 'dates' with Ichinose. Due to rental girlfriend rules, we are not allowed to meet at the apartment so I walk towards a meet-up point we both decided upon. 

I've never been this nervous before. Ever since my feelings for the girl became clear, I've been second-guessing myself more than ever, often trying to show the best parts of myself. As a result, I've been taking ages to respond whenever she would talk to me, and even longer when we visited her grandma the day prior. Sayuri would give me a happy smile when Ichinose went out the room, winking at me. She knew... of course she did.

Once we I meet with the girl I love, we decide on taking a walk around the park. This time, I find it even harder to take my eyes off her. It's as if everything about her suddenly became more beautiful. It's a shame it's the last date... I thought, a little down at the prospect of this being the end, unless I find an excuse to extend it. At one point, she would glare at me for a little, before looking away. This snaps me out of it, and I am given a quick reminder of how Ichinose sees these 'dates'. The same she would see a 'date' with any other clients. 

Ever since the 'dates' started, she's spent most of her time in her 'Mizuhara' persona, then being quite distant whenever I try to talk to her outside of work. All of these different things seem to bother us to the point where we stop, sitting on a nearby bench.

Chizuru: "What's gotten into you? Why are you being so weird today?" She asks, revealing her normal self for the time being.

Y/n: "I mean, we're friends right? I was hoping you could just be yourself. Don't get me wrong, you're not doing anything wrong, it's just I already know you better than this." I say, a little embarrassed to have to say that to her.

Chizuru: "But then it's like any other hang-out. What's the point in paying me if I can't do anything in return? ...If it's like this, then I can't accept your 'support'." She replies.

I sit there for a while, thinking about how to respond. I decide to tell her a part of the truth:

Y/n: "...What if I now want to get myself back out there, looking for a girlfriend? I feel it'd be better if you could be your normal self since 'Mizuhara' isn't really the type to criticize someone, even if they're doing something wrong." I say, hoping that my response satisfies her.

Chizuru: "...Fine, but only if you act normal too. Don't think I didn't notice how different you've been acting lately!" She says back, half-shouting at me as I nod, agreeing.

"In return for your 'support', I'll make sure to help you as much as possible, as your rental, to find you a fantastic girlfriend." She says seriously.

The 'date' resumes, with the both of us more relaxed. We mainly chat about each other's careers before she asks me what I'm looking for in a girlfriend. I reply accordingly, leaving out specific features so she doesn't piece things together. I still take rare looks at her, enchanting me every time. It truly is as if an angel had fallen. Her incredible kindness, practical mindset and jaw-dropping looks... who could resist! 

The others in the park prove me right, as they can't take their eyes off her, some of them even saying how 'lucky' I am to be walking around with someone of her class, which does make me feel a little insulted, but I see their point.

Halfway through, I initiate a new conversation with her:

Y/n: "So, how is it looking with your grandma? Do you reckon you'll be able to get into a movie in time for her to see?" I ask carefully and quietly, knowing how sensitive this topic can be for her.