(34) The 'Green Light'

(4 Days Later)

I wake up to the sound of notifications. Many messages from none other than Ichinose, informing me that our project has finally reached it's crowdfunding goal. I quickly get out of bed, checking on my laptop, and indeed, it's been done. I jump into the air. We can actually do this! I say to myself in excitement as I make my way over to the kitchen area, getting ready to make myself a big breakfast and just relax for the day.

However, another notification pops up. Another message from her, but one that completely reverses my plans for the day:

Chizuru: [Hey, I've got to do some shopping at the mall later on at **:**. Do you wanna come with?] 

My eyes widen... I-Is this a-a- No, it can't be, get your head out the clouds. I think to myself and soon enough, she makes things a little clearer.

Chizuru: [I was thinking that since you've done a lot to help, I should pay you back a little. Any food we get will be my treat] 

Realising what she means, I type back after scolding myself further for getting the wrong idea.

Y/n: [Sure, I'll meet you outside when it's time]

Shutting off my phone, I finally start eating. I've only got a few hours to kill, so I may as well take a little walk outside. Deciding to go walk around the park, I get dressed for the slightly colder weather we'll apparently be getting, leaving the apartment shortly after.

I walk around for a while, discovering a new jewellery shop. It must've recently opened. Maybe I should get her something... no, I'd need a reason for that, I don't want to overwhelm her, having already making a whole movie. I can't give her the wrong idea... But I could get one for a later time? I debate internally, eventually giving in and going inside the store.

I don't know too much about this stuff. The only piece of jewellery I've ever bought was the necklace  for Sumi, and that's only because it matched her hair... I've not got the slightest clue of what to get for Ichinose.

Eventually, I resort to asking the lady at the desk, who in turn asks me about the person. I may have let... a few too many of my praises out, but it gave her the general idea and she recommended a silver necklace with the symbol 'Kiku' on it. It symbolises longevity; in my case, my love for Ichinose, that I'll always be there for her. Despite being a little embarrassed by the lady's straightforward way of saying things, I appreciate her honesty. It also gives me an outsiders perspective of how I feel about her, despite the limited information she has. I thank her, purchasing the necklace and leaving the store, satisfied.

After checking my phone, I realise that I only have 10 minutes left, so I rush back to my apartment, putting the gift away and then going back out to meet with the girl of my dreams.

Chizuru: "Yo. You ready to go?" She says neutrally.

Y/n: "Yep, lead the way." I reply with a smile.

And so, we walk and talk on our way to the mall, mostly about the movie, which she seems to be incredibly thankful for. She met with the director the other day and he let her know how he likes to structure certain things in the storyboard, allowing her to prepare for such things. To my surprise she also finished my second book, complementing me for my way with words once again. 

Once we get to the mall, the first thing we do is find some food. Despite trying to at least cover my end of the fee, she glares at me, silencing me before paying for it all herself. We each visit a couple of stores each, with her buying the things she needs. 

A couple more hours pass and we are on our way out when someone recognizes us, or rather, her.

Umi: "-Oh, hey Chizuru!" The male says, waving at us.

Ichinose turns around, shocked to see him, greeting him back. He asks her about why she's not been to her acting group lately which prompts her to say she's gotten an acting opportunity, not giving too many details. I examine the man before us, good-looking and tall. He's also a part of Ichinose's acting group... I thought, feeling a little insecure, starting to think that there may be some competition after all.

Before I start getting delusional, I cut all thoughts off. It's out of my hands regardless, I'd be better not to overthink things. Maybe it's not like that at all...

Umi: "And you must be...?" He asks as Ichinose introduces me.

Chizuru: "This is Y/n, a... friend of mine." She says, with a slight pause before the word friend.

Doubling down on 'not overthinking' I simply hold out my hand to which he shakes.

Y/n: "Nice to meet you." I say calmly.

Umi: "Likewise, I'm Umi Nakano, but any friend of Chizuru is a friend of mine, so feel free to call me Umi." He says coolly.

The three of us stand there, talking for quite some time before Ichinose tells him that we have somewhere to be. They say goodbye first before we shake hands once again.

Umi: "Well, it was nice to see you, Y/n. Have fun with the rest of your day." He says with a slight smile, staring at me for a little before walking off.

I catch up to Ichinose and she brings it up straight away:

Chizuru: "Have you seen each other before?" She asks, acknowledging our exchange.

Y/n: "No, that's my first time seeing any of your acting friends." I say, befuddled at why he looked at me like that.

I brush it off as we make it back to our apartments. We give our farewells as I go back inside, ready to receive a call from the director. 

We've been messaging each other the past few days and he wants to know when we start. Once he calls me, I cut straight to the chase, giving him the green light for tomorrow.

And so, the real work begins!