The Hatchery

Anaka often visited the castle's hatchery. It's where her mate and her siblings lay together in their nests. She could hardly believe that a few days ago, she was in her egg, lying among them. Anaka lay on the cobblestones feeling lonely and empty inside. The hatchery was an enclosed space with a lit fireplace. The coolness of the ground and the heat of the fire comforted her. Anaka waited for them to hatch with her on the first day. She remembered crying alone her first night.

Anaka spread her wings and flew to the nest she shared with her mate. She could hear his heart pumping. The battle eons ago still relapsed in her mind. Her mate, Anark, attacked their uncle and poisoned her and her siblings through him. Anaka could only imagine how bad Anark felt when he was wrong. She understood why Anark even lunged at their uncle. It was because of the second Vivian. Even after these years of being inside an egg, Anark would probably wish to stay inside forever.

Anaka almost wanted Alisha to come to the hatchery and free them all. She'd be happy again, but Anaka felt pity that Anark wouldn't want that.

Anaka heard her stomach growl. She kissed the egg's shell of her mate before flying out of the room. She navigated the many hallways until her nose caught the aroma of the kitchen. Anaka heard the chuckling shouts of the Chermonoan dragon, and she saw the little gorilla chowing down on the fruit platter.

Anaka landed on the table full of meat. She picked up a slab of fish and chowed it down. She felt a shiver coursing along her scales, and she saw her scales shimmer red. It wasn't the first time Anaka's scales shimmered. Anaka watched the princess using her elements since she rarely used them other than covering the destruction Eddie and Alisha left in the woods. It wasn't too bad.

I hope they are not causing too much damage, Anaka replied aloud. What are they doing?

Anaka pulled out another fish and took some small bites of her second fish. She looked at Shoutmon munching away on his mutton and steak and looked at his wingless back. She sighed as she dropped down from the table, missing the times when she first grew up in her father's house in the sky. She often chased her siblings and tackled them for hours. She wanted to fly after them in a game of tag.

Anaka sniffed as she walked the halls back to the hatchery. She curled up, enveloped in loneliness, and tears escaped her eyes. Mom? Dad? I miss you. Anaka's body trembled as she wept. I feel so alone.

Anaka felt her limp body getting picked up and enveloped in warmth. She felt being stroked and petted by careful hands. Anaka looked up to see a glowing white light. Mama?

"Shhh, it's okay, my daughter," she reassured. Her mother kissed her head. "I'm never far away from you, my little Anaka." Her mother wiped her tears as she held Anaka close to her heart. Anaka heard her mother's heart beating. She looked back to see her siblings' eggs glow. Their glowing lights radiated crystals around the room. Her mother sat in the warmth of the fireplace as Anaka cuddled on her mother's lap. Her mom's silky white and gold robes gave Anaka comfort.

Anaka's ears perked up at the Hatchery door creaking open.

"So this is what your hatchery looks like."

Anaka turned to see the dragon, Shoutmon, standing in the center of the room, looking around.

"Hmm," Shoutmon mumbled. "Not going to lie, I kinda expected something bigger and fancier. But I guess all of the egg rooms are the same in one way or another."

Anaka looked up to see her mom looking back. She smiled before setting her down on the cobblestone and flashing away in a flash of light. See you later, Mom. Anaka looked at Shoutmon. Yeah. I know it's not glorious, but my siblings are here.