The Attempt

Alisha noticed that the young man had his eyes locked on the nurse. The nurse occasionally looked up at him as she took the splint apart.

As soon as the nurse finished taking it apart, she pulled his pant leg up, revealing the yellow bruises. "Your ankle is healing nicely. I would recommend you rest for the rest of the day, but I don't see the need for it. I will advise you to take it easy for the day. If it starts hurting, then come back. Other than that, you're off the hook."

"That's good news," he answered with a smile.

The kitchen maid came in with a tray of food she requested for him.

She set the tray in front of him. He nodded in thanks before she left. It seemed that he was in good hands now. There was no need for her to linger any longer.

She left the nurse's room without anyone watching. Which was fine; she didn't want anyone to fuss over her.

The stranger set his fork down. He looked out of the corner of his right eye, noticing the girl had disappeared. "Was that the princess that brought me in?"

The nurse looked at him. "Alisha? Yes, indeed."

"Where did she go?"

"I wouldn't trouble her if I were you."

"Why?"

"Let's just say that she-" the nurse paused as if she was ashamed to say anymore. "She had her experiences with a man a few years ago. No one should have experienced what she had been through."

Not wanting to pressure the situation any further, he changed the subject.

"Was she ever close to someone?"

"She was. Her father was the one she was closest to. Unfortunately, he died last year at the battle versus Chermono. I'm surprised that you haven't heard."

"I've heard that it was tragic on both sides."

"Indeed," she replied, hanging her head with a melancholy expression on her face.

"Where is her room?"

The nurse sighed, "If you insist on knowing, then I might as well tell you. Her room is upstairs in the front left tower. The stairs are down the hall."

He carefully rose from the bed and left the nurse's room, taking her instructions. He looked to his right and saw the stairwell. He went down the hall and heard the soldiers practicing their swordsmanship. He didn't know what the Elestelians thought of him, but he guessed he was a stranger. The only difference was that he was walking in his enemy's territory, and they didn't know it.

When he reached the bottom of the stairwell, he climbed up two at a time.

He didn't feel the need to be in a hurry, but he thought that he could be himself.

In any case, he could sense that something bugged her, but now that he knew that her father had died. He could relate to her, but he missed someone else even more than his father.

He finally made it to the top of the stairs without any problems.

He looked down the hall and saw the princess's room. Even though he wasn't one for being around women, he was a comforter. He recalled the times that she went tense. The nurse's words seemed to fit, but it seemed like she was afraid to tell him the whole story.

When he reached the door, he inhaled nervously and reached out to the doorknob. He found it unlocked, and he quietly stepped in.

He found that the room was dark except for the sunlight shining through the balcony's open windows, to his surprise.