Memories

Alisha noticed that he was staring at her like a trance. It was almost like she looked like someone he knew back home, but where was his home? Where did he belong before she found him in the woods alone? Just the way he was looking at her made her feel uneasy.

"I should probably help you get inside," she told him, and he snapped out of his trance.

"Yeah."

"Just take it easy."

Slowly dismounting, she reached out to help stabilize him. As soon as he dismounted, he was standing on his two feet. It seemed like his ankle was not as in much pain as earlier. How? It was too much for her to comprehend.

"How is your ankle feeling?" she asked, stuttering.

He looked down at it; he smiled shyly. "I would be lying if I told you it still hurts, but it does not hurt anymore."

Alisha did not want to think that finding him and dressing his wound would have been a waste of her time in the short span.

He hoped that he did not scare her with his rapid healing. He looked at her, and she looked so worked up that she might cry. When she turned her back to him, he reached out to shoulder gently. His whole right arm quaked to his fingers. As soon as he touched her shoulder, she froze for a second and slowly looked at him. She rolled her shoulders, and he removed his hand from her. What is this girl's problem? Does she not like men touching her?

He had been around girls at his and his brother's birthday parties. Only none of them acted like this girl. He usually stayed by a table drinking, listening to the music, and overhearing the girls talk about him as if they had a crush on him. His brother and father told him to go ahead and talk to the girls. Only he did not feel comfortable talking to them. He had not been around too many, except his mom.

"Sir?" the girl asked. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah."

"I should probably get you inside," she said in a rush.

He nodded; with his arm over her shoulder and her arm holding onto his waist, she helped him inside. She stopped a kitchen maid and ordered his meal.

"Right away, malady."

They went through the kitchen without anyone stopping them and into the hallway.

He felt so sure that someone would have recognized him by now.

They entered through a doorway; she helped him rest on one of the beds. He lay on one of the beds; he exhaled in relief, knowing that he was not sleeping on the ground anymore.

"Ah, you see, I knew you could do it, Your Highness. All you needed was a little encouragement," replied a woman; he sat up and saw a woman coming in with a nurse's uniform.

"Please, do not remind me," was the princess's response.

"Well, I can see that you still remember how to splint on."

"It was not that hard."

The nurse gave her a look that made the princess roll her eyes. The nurse shrugged and examined his ankle, so he sat up. "So, I assume that it was a sprain?"

"Yeah, practically almost healed."

"Hmm, interesting," replied the nurse, eyeing him.

Where has he seen those hazel eyes before?