Comfort

When the memories finally stopped, tears welled up in Alisha's eyes. She wanted the pain to end, but how?

"See to it that she eats something," her mother told the stranger. She didn't even catch his name.

She would've caught it if her mother had been as cautious as she has been since her dad died. She wasn't even sure if she felt like eating.

"Of course," was the stranger's reply. There was no doubt that he'd make sure she'd have something, even though she didn't want to. Tears poured from her eyes, and she hung her head. A pair of firm yet gentle hands held hers; she opened her eyes and found the stranger's concerned and understanding eyes staring into hers. "I know that you are hurting. I know that you don't trust men, but I want to help you overcome this. I feel guilty that he did that to you. It makes me wish that I could've done something to prevent it, but I know that we can't. I'm here now as a friend. Hopefully, soon we'll get you back to your old self."

His words sounded promising and almost too good to be true. Tears spilled out from her eyes as she lept on him for a hug.

It took him by surprise that he hesitated to return the hug.

There was something about him that made him almost like her father. He even smelled like him as she inhaled his scent. Her eyes began to grow heavy. If only I could stay

Alert.