The Past

Alisha was thankful that the ride was quiet.

As she rode through the city gate, she sighed in relief when he removed his arm. She had a feeling that he didn't want to draw attention to himself. She looked around at the villagers; she gave them her smile as she watched the children play happily, even if no one noticed. She thought back to that time. Why is she still thinking that? Would life have been better if she did have a child of her own? Would she have ignored that it was his? Would she accept that it was hers forever?

The stranger did not mind that it was a quiet ride. He could not help but notice that the girl went tense when he wrapped his right arm around her, which he found odd. It was out of character for him to be hanging around girls. Why am I always so shy around girls?

His skin crawled as they entered the gates. He had to be careful not to reveal his origins. He removed his right arm from her waist; he was worried about some villagers saying, "Our heir has a Chermonan riding with her, and why does he have his arm wrapped around her?" He knew that he would be kicked out of the kingdom before he even had a chance to explain. He guessed correctly about this girl being royal since the feel of her dress was silky soft. He also noticed that her tension had softened.

He noticed that she was eyeing the children, and he saw her shoulders slump. Does she think she can not find a suitor to have her children?

He looked over his shoulder toward the kids; it was one thing he often stared at when he was home. He always enjoyed seeing the subsequent generation bonding with their new companions before school. When the kids disappeared from his sight, he focused on keeping his eyes in front of him.

The girl halted her horse beside a door to the kitchen with the servants preparing the morning meal. The girl dismounted before she looked at him. "I reckon that you are probably hungry."

"That is one way to put it."

"Anything specific you might want?"

The aroma of breakfast wafted to his nose. "I could go for eggs, sausage, and some breakfast rolls or biscuits."

"Sounds good."