A Princess' Duty

Alisha would have considered staying in her room unless it was necessary. Since the vision last night, she reconsidered. Alisha petted her stallion for maybe the last time. She would not have one last ride with Steffan. She would be lucky not to bring the young man in if someone else had done her job. Steffan nuzzled her in comfort as if he was trying to understand her pain, but how could he? She had already thought that nobody cared or understood her. She thought maybe it was for the best if no one did.

"Do not worry about me, Steffan. I am sure that they will take good care of you after I am gone, including the one that will ride you after I am gone," she whispered in the horse's ear.

Steffan's nostrils flared as she left the horse's comfort. What will happen after she is gone? Her mother would be heartbroken. She saw the children running around chasing each other, looking toward the village. She would often have daydreams of her life with no pain. Tears welled up in her eyes, but the wind dried them up before they poured out.

The smell of bacon, eggs, and sausage entered her nose. Her stomach growled with hunger. Only she did not feel like eating, and she had already relieved herself before she went out to see Steffan. She entered through the side door of the castle. She saw the kitchen maids making the morning meals. She exited the kitchen she looked across to see one of the dining rooms. The servants were busy bees setting the morning table as they passed her. Too bad there would be an empty chair where she was supposed to be sitting.

Looking through the nurse's room doorway, she was surprised that the beds were all empty. Could the man be healed and walking? Entering the room, she studied each of the beds. Something was missing on each of the beds. Why were there no wrinkles? Does this mean that no one has found and brought him in yet? Then, that means.

"If you are looking for someone, Your Highness, then he is not here," replied the nurse behind her, sitting at her desk. "If by chance that young man you are looking for is still out there, then you must fetch him."

"Me?" she gasped, turning to her. "Why should I?" Even though she knew the answer, she did not feel like it.

Not today, not tomorrow, not ever.

The nurse's soft brown eyes locked onto her before standing up. Her hair was as black as a raven, and her dress was as yellow as a sunflower. "You are the only one who knows what he looks like, and as I recall, you always go to the ones that need help the most. As you can see, you are the one that receives the visions, and you are the one that helps them more before they are hurt more."

"That is not fair," she whined.

Going out and fetching him would be a setback on her timing. The nurse looked at her sternly, telling her to stop.

She sighed, "Fine."

"Good," she replied, handing a pouch to her. Taking it, she found it quite heavy. Unfolding the flap, she found every piece of medical supplies inside.

"You can never be too careful, and besides, you and I do not know how severely injured he is. So I figured to have you go out there prepared for whatever injury he might have."

"Thanks," she replied, strapping the satchel over her shoulders. "I will head out right away."

"Good," replied the nurse with a nod.