Late Night (Dragon) Chat

Meanwhile, as the royals fell into a slumber, one small red dragon sat on the rooftop gazing up at the night sky. His mind was full of wonder and concern. Not just for his prince, but also for himself and his kingdom.

Hmm, apologies, poor Chermono. he thought to himself, staring at the moon as it hid behind the clouds. Looks like it's gonna be a lot longer than we thought to return to you safely.

He sighed as he closed his eyes, letting his scales bask in the moonlight. He then heard a small 'thud' from behind, sensing something had landed on the roof with him. He quickly readied his staff as he turned around to meet whatever dared approach him, only to see Anaka, perched in front of him. Her golden scales glistened and then shadowed as the moon hid back behind the clouds once more as she tiptoed toward Shoutmon.

My apologies. I didn't mean to startle you. Are you okay?

He retracted his staff and turned back to face the moon. "I'm fine, kid," he responded. "Just reflecting."

Oh, what about?

Shoutmon gazed more at the moon as he breathed heavily, his scales making scraping sounds as the wind brushed against him. "Nothing too special," he replied, almost flatly. "Just my life is all."

Oh, I see. Were there some things that you hoped to accomplish?

"No, not accomplish... just continue to fail, sadly."

Is it about your human companion, Eddie?

"He's NOT my companion," Shoutmon said sharply, an angry aura surrounding him. "... He's my brother.... and the reason I'm still willing to serve the Chermonoan kingdom."

I see. What's the problem that you're failing?

Shoutmon paused for a while before looking at Anaka and saying, "You promise not to gossip about it?"

I promise. Dragon code. I don't gossip. The maids do that, man.

"Hmm, very well then," Shoutmon then patted a spot next to him. "Sit."

Anaka bounded toward the empty spot next to the red dragon.

"It's not a story I like remembering," he continued to say. "And I certainly don't enjoy talking about it either. You're probably the only other person I've said this to."

Anaka looked at Shoutmon with full attention and interest.

"Tell me, what do you know about the Queen of Chermono, huh?" Shoutmon asked Anaka, his voice sounding as if it were cracking.

Eddie's mom? Hmm, not much. I was still an egg for a couple of generations.

"Well, not a lot of people know about who she was. Rudrick took most of the 'spotlight', so to speak, when it came to royalty popularity. Tell me, what would your first thought about her be? And be honest."

Hmm, I wanna say a lot of positive things about her, like kind and stuff, right? Most mothers are like that and beautiful.

Shoutmon nodded in agreement. "Yes," he agreed. "She was very beautiful... and kind, and happy, and brave... so, so brave. Probably the bravest woman I had ever met."

Brave? Anaka asked. Like a soldier?

"Ha!" Shoutmon laughed. "Hardly! Not even the most powerful Bound Soldier was as brave and tough as she was, haha! For royalty, she was truly something else."

Sounds fascinating. Did you ever tell Eddie about his mother?

Shoutmon then fell silent.

"I-I," he stuttered. "I can't."

Can't? Can't tell Eddie? Or what's wrong?

"I can't," He said, beginning to choke up, tears streaming down his face as he stared up at the moon once more. "I just can't. That poor kid already blames himself for her death. To speak to him about her would only bring him more pain." He sniffled a bit, trying to wipe his tears away. "And I can't bring myself to carry out such responsibility. He'd probably hate me as much as I hate myself, if not more, about her demise."

Anaka looked at the weeping dragon. Was it her dying to wish that anything happened to her?

"No," Shoutmon answered. "If anything, I'm the one who went back on her wish."

He stood up and turned around, climbing up the rooftop. "I don't think I can talk about this anymore. It's getting late."

Oh, okay. Anaka looked at Shoutmon, feeling bad for him. He must've been feeling such emotions as he attempted to tell her about this woman whom not even her son knew about. She couldn't help but want to follow him and make him feel better.

Goodnight then, Dragon. She told him as she watched him jump through the skylight on the roof, and down into the attic bedroom.

"Night," Shoutmon said, flatly.