two - beware

[Vegas]

I looked up from the smiley pancake on my plate to my mom who was seated opposite me, humming a happy tone under her breath as she looked down at her phone. She was always like this, absent during moments we were supposed to be spending together and the thing is, I was the one that was supposed to be phone obsessed and absent. I was the teenager after all but, after my father got into prison, my mom desperately searched for something else to fixate on and no, it wasn't me. It was technology.

"I'm leaving for school," I announced, pushing the plate away slightly as I stood up from my chair.

She barely took her eyes off her phone. "So quick?"

I sighed. "Yeah."

"Isn't it too early?" She finally spared a glance at me, and then at my still filled plate. "And you haven't even touched your breakfast yet."

"I'll get something at school." I dismissed, walking out the door with the strap of my bag slung on my shoulder.

As I got outside, I looked around. One thing I'd noticed about Chumphon since coming here, it wasn't really an up to date town. It was old fashioned, with small houses and bushes. Most people here seemed out of date too.

I was still missing Ranong. This town just didn't seem to have my kind of fun. The school was boring as well. It was just your stereotypical school. Boring students, boring teachers-

But...

Not everything was boring though.

Mystery library boy hadn't been boring. He was the only person that stood out in the whole school, in fact, the whole town. He was the only person I was somewhat looking forward to seeing again. 

I stopped walking momentarily when I heard a little rustle behind me. Instinctively, I whipped my head around to see what the noise was about and let out a little gasp in surprise when I saw the protagonist of my thoughts, the mystery library boy behind me.

He was standing at a distance, in a stance that made me know he'd been attempting to hide behind the bushes but was not quick enough.

Moving on from my surprise, I smiled softly as I turned completely around.

"Hey," I said.

After I went back to school yesterday, I'd searched everywhere for him but couldn't find him and because of this event, I had to spend the rest of yesterday receiving angry text messages from my friends for bailing on them.

Realizing my smile, I coughed and glanced away to hide it. I hadn't genuinely smiled since coming here but I will admit, I was kind of glad to see him again. At least, I would have someone to talk to who would be worthwhile. I didn't even care about the fact that he'd basically thrown half the words I said to him yesterday back at me.

"Hi," he replied, his expression plain. His brown hair looked lighter than it was the previous day and his bangs as usual was almost covering his eyes.

I didn't know why I suddenly felt awkward, almost shy that I stayed quiet and watched him walk past me, without saying another word.

I turned to look him walk away in confusion, not sure why he was behaving this way like we didn't know each other.

"Hey," I called, walking in fast steps to catch up with him. "We were just talking."

"We were?" he asked, sarcasm clear in his tone. "I thought we were playing table tennis."

I huffed, amused. Now walking besides him, I decided to start a conversation. He didn't seem very interested in me and with the way he was acting towards me, it was as if I was invisible to him. I didn't know why, but this was making me even more interested.