three - next victim

[Vegas]

I was confused to say the least. What Tawan just told me about Mystery library boy - Pete - being a killer sounded very confusing and like a joke.

I looked on as Pete walked over to a locker and opened it up, seemingly unfazed by all the stares and whispers. And slowly, the other people started moving back to their previous activities.

I looked back to Tawan with raised eyebrows. "Why do you say that?"

Like he was a magnet, I looked back to Pete (I momentarily acknowledged how well the name suited him) and watched in wonder as a boy who was just a locker away from him moved away quickly, like Pete was going to kill him right there and then if he'd stayed.

"Because he's dangerous and if you don't stay away from him, you might end up being his next victim," Tawan explained in a whisper.

Victim? Why was he speaking in circles?

"Victim?" I voiced my thoughts.

He nodded and then looked to his left and then right before leaning in closely to me, like he was going to kiss me but instead, he moved his lips to my ear and whispered something to me that I wasn't expecting at all.

"He murdered his own parents."

I was surprised, shocked to say the least about what he just said. Murdered? The mystery library boy, Pete, was a murderer?

"He's a murderer," Tawan confirmed, as if hearing my thoughts.

I turned to look at Pete, just in time to see him look up to me.

My heart beat strangely fastened as I kept my gaze on him and watched as the frown on his face cleared up and replaced with a knowing smirk. I then realized my face probably still held the shock from the new information I just learnt about him and he'd theorized that he'd been right in saying I would be like everybody else.

He removed his gaze away from me before walking past me down the halls.

I was about to walk after him but Tawan held my hand.

"Come with me, we have the same class together."

I was curious as to how he knew we had class together but also, I was very bent on following after Pete but, I was just too shocked about the information I'd just learnt about him that I needed a lot of time for it to sink in.

He's a murderer?

🔪🔪🔪

[Pete]

He knows. He knows now. He's going to treat me like how everyone else does. He's going to look at me with judgemental eyes. He's going to be afraid of me. He's going to run away from me.

These thoughts kept repeating in my head from when I looked away from Vegas, to when I heard a girl whisper about how I needed to be in jail to when I walked to my usual spot at the library: the only place I could escape from the harsh reality that was my life.

My own thoughts wouldn't stop taunting me and as I sat down, warm tears spilled from my eyes.

I'm so pathetic. A thought ran through my head and I nodded in agreement and then scoffed when I realised indeed how pathetic I'd been.

I'd thought this new boy Vegas would be different. I didn't know why but, that first day I met him, I just felt he was going to be different from everybody else, especially after this morning's ordeal but what was wrong with me? This was a town where news spread just in a minute and of course, people were going to fill him up with lies, well not exactly lies, but exaggerated lies.