Chapter 14 - The irony

[Name] had left the party a while ago under the pretence that she was in dire need of fresh air after all the dancing, which was partly true. However, to say that it was due to the lack of air in the room and not because of the events prior to the party would be a complete lie.

So, in an attempt to not balk in front of the others, the queen had left, currently sauntering through the gardens, as the sunlight reflected against the green silk of her dress, giving it a heavenly glow. The sleek fabric scrunched as she lay down on the grass, surrounded by gorgeous flowers of all colours. And as the sun warmed her face, she tried to reminisce the past hours with the small fragments her mind could remember.

Nehemia being wounded...

The queen feeling her friend's pain and finding her with the help of wyrdmarks...

She, almost killing Anhur...

The gods' fearful expressions...

Nehemia leading her through the corridor, to her room...

Fenrys holding her hand and blinking four times over, and over, again. 'I am here, I am with you'...

Nehemia apologizing... and laying a dress on the bed...

Her putting it on... or perhaps it was Nehemia that had dressed her. She couldn't remember.

Something about a birthday party. Then the memories became clearer.

"There will be music, and there will be dance. You need to dance, [Name]. To get lost in the music for just a moment. Then we'll speak." [Name] nodded, as she followed the wolf and the princess to the party.

She could hear music from the other side of the wall that separated her from the calm, yet powerful melody of several instruments. It brought her some tranquillity. However, not as much as the voices behind the door, and just for a moment, she had smiled at their ridiculous conversation.

The wolf had placed his paw on her leg, beckoning her to walk in, all whilst blinking four times. So, she put on a willed smile, and walked through the doors with muted steps, so as to not reveal her presence just yet. She took the opportunity to view her surroundings. They had done a good job. Everything from the intricate details of the green and golden decorations to the appetizing food, to the orchestra in the background reminded her of those exquisite parties she loved so much. She knew it was Nehemia's and Fenrys' doing, so she took the princess' hand and squeezed it in thanks, as she patted the wolf on the head. She was truly grateful for her friends.

.

.

.

[Name] opened her eyes, directing them to the figure in front of her that blocked the sunlight from reaching her face.

"You could at least say hi before creeping up to someone like that," [Name] said, her voice steady, showing no trace of the thoughts that had occupied her mind seconds ago.

The God of Thunder merely stared at the woman before him, giving no indication of answering her. She let out a sigh. "I suppose you are here for a reason, so you might as well save us both time and just get it done with.2 He, yet again, did not reply. However, he had moved, not to walk away, but to lay next to her. [Name] observed him carefully, assessing the danger in his every move.

And then, almost as if the wyrd had answered her prayers, the man finally spoke.

"I prefer the stars." It felt weird hearing his low, rumbling voice. Probably, because she had viewed him as a walking statue ever since coming here. She smiled at him.