Chapter 25 - Welcome to Erilea

Hermes kept his gaze forward, feigning ignorance to the heated glances Fenrys shot him as they were striding through the Inkward Forest, skilfully evading any roots and other dangers that could cause injuries, or possible casualties. Ironically enough, nothing about the nature around them reminded the two males of a forest – if anything, it bore the appearance and characteristics of a jungle.

Hermes craned his neck upward, observing the green leaves and branches covering the sky, allowing only small segments of light to enter through the gaps.

Fenrys groaned when his boot almost got stuck in the mud, the chill of discomfort travelling all the way from his leg up to the rest of his body. Perhaps he would have seen it in time if not for the tall grass stretching up to their hips.

"Remind me why you're coming with me again, Fenrys grunted, already regretting bringing the god with him."

Hermes has always prided himself in his ability to remain phlegmatic despite the situation at hand. However, after having to evade yet another monkey-like creature threatening to cleave his face into bits with its monstrous claws, his patience was slowly deteriorating.

"Because Lady [Name] wished for me to accompany you on your trip to Erilea."

Fenrys kept his mouth shut as they neared the secured area where they'd open the portal – far away from prying eyes. The fae had no problem understanding why the deity would visit their world with him. After all, his insight as a god, including his keen intellect would help them rid of any potential weaknesses in their plan. Still, the fae remained displeased.

Fenrys cut his arm the second they stepped into the average-sized cave, while Hermes lightened a torch with fire. At least the god was far from a moron – that would save him a lot of frustration.

In silence, the pair continued their walk to the end of the cave, only stopping when they were an arm-length away from touching the stone wall. Fenrys ran a finger along the cut on his forearm, using the blood to scribble runic symbols on the ground. Hermes observed every last stroke and memorized the words leaving the man's mouth. And how could he not? In his 4000 years of life, he has never borne witness to this form of magic before. His intrigue was to be expected.

Fenrys mumbled the last words of the spell, and a light soon overtook each of the symbols, until they came together as one and created a portal showing the bustling streets of a city from above a high hill, and atop mountains and waterfalls just beside the lively city, was a breathtaking palace of staggering height with towers made of opal stone. The architecture of the royal palace was ancient, yet so innovative as it perfectly merged with the rivers and greenery around it – not existing at the expense of the peaceful nature. Truly reminding of a place out of a fairytale.

Fenrys' lips tugged as he watched the god marvel at the scenery of his land. "Since it's incredibly straining opening two portals in a day; we'll keep this one open for a couple of hours."

Hermes nodded, taking his first step through the portal and into a completely other world. Taking one last precaution to make sure they were not shadowed, Fenrys soon followed.

.

.

.

"So, this is Lady [Name]'s homeland?" Hermes drawled, as he and Fenrys walked through the busy streets of the main road leading to the palace.

His treads against the cobblestone floor were hushed by workers moving planks across the street, so another man could hammer nails into them, building what the god could only assume would become another stand along the many that already filled the sides of the road. The humongous banners being hung between buildings, and the orange and red decorations that were thoroughly placed around the streets convinced the god that they were preparing for an event of sorts.