Chapter 19 - Demons of the past

Cognitive immobility: a condition where one's mind is trapped in a specific place or situation from the past

"..."
"..."
"Sigh"

I looked at a sleeping Nimona with weight on my heart....covering my face
I was so confused....frustrated....
A billion thoughts racing in my mind

"What can I even do?...even if we run....even if we're safe physically....the sadness won't go away...I don't want to be betrayed again...I don't want you to be betrayed again"
I caressed her cheek, she looked so happy and peaceful...

"I'm strong of body...yet my mind is so frail and weak..."

Amidst my melancholy Ballister finally arrived, staring at me with hostility...

I gave him a knowing glare, then made  a "hush" gesture

Ethan: "She's sleeping...so not now"

Ballister: "how do you-...did you follow me??"

Ethan: "yeah....I did....and I hope you make the right choice Bal"

Ballister: "you're not in a position to demand that!, you...you just used me!"

Ethan: "We didn't! Not after everything we went through!....do you really think...i'm a monster Bal?"

I looked at him with teary eyes, begging him to reconsider

"Nhg...?....hmm...yawn...I have not slept like that in for-ever..."

We both looked over to her, I was filled with concern, while Ballister stared her down with contempt

"Why do you have your cloak on?"

She slowly sat on the sofa
Ballister slammed the table in front of it with the scroll in his hands

"Is this you?" He asked pointing at the painting

"W-where did you get that?....who- who have you been talking to-?"

"Tell me this isn't you!" He asked with pain in his voice

"You think that I would do that?"
Her eyes were filled with confusion and....fear

Nimona: "Ethan what is this? W-what's going on?"

Ethan: "c-calm down hun....I'm sure we can solve this the nice way...B-bal just....had a chat with Ambrosius"

Nimona: "what!? Boss you think that that's who I am!?"

Ballister: "oh I don't know...you're the one who told me to trust no one and to question everything!"

Nimona: "that's right! Even this now!...think about...hic...think about the things we went through together!"

Ballister: "I'm thinking about everything we've done!"
"Broke out of jail, stolen cars, kidnapped people, manipulated people!"

Nimona: "We were helping you!"

Ethan: "Exactly! Bal-no....Boss....please....hear us out-"

Ballister: "you were using me!"
"You wanted them to see a villain that was someone else so that you wouldn't be alone!"

He kept pointing at Nimona, why her!?

Ethan: "She's not the only at fault!!, if anything blame me! Blame this shitty system that's worming into your mind!"

Ballister: "And YOU"

My eyes widened as I flinched back

Ballister: "I don't know where you came from, you're not in any of the scrolls or stories or anything! Have you been hiding just to strike at the right time!?"
"You've been using me this whole time!"