24.Magic

Qibli stared at Moon, mouth wide open. "You're a mind-reader? And you've had visions before?"

"One vision."Moon corrected with a wince. "But yes.I'm really sorry I didn't tell you sooner.I was really scared."

"I still don't believe it."Qibli said slowly. "Okay, Moon.A little test.What am I thinking about right now?"

Cows. Cows. Cows. Cows. Cows.

Moon laughed lightly. "Cows?"

Qibli gaped at her. "Woah, that's amazing.And also super scary.Just anyone hate me? Have you heard anyone thinking about me?"

This could be useful...

"Qibli, it's not supposed to be used like that.I feel really bad, like I'm invading their privacy, because I am.I try to block it out, using some tricks I read about in a scroll.But I can't read Turtle's mind, which is weird.It's all fuzzy and stuff."Moon gazed at the SeaWing. "And Flux.I can't read her mind either."

"It's the rock,"Qibli stated easily. "See the rock in Turtle's bracelet? It's the same thing Flux had in her silver armband.It must be stopping you from reading their minds, weirdly enough."

"This is skyfire,"Turtle picked it out of his bracelet, holding it up. "It falls from the sky occasionally.I didn't know it stopped mind-reading.I can multiply this and give it to you all, if you want some."Turtle offered, smiling.

"Thanks, Turtle! You're the best."Kinkajou beamed, giving the flustered SeaWing a big hug. Then she frowned. "Wait, how can you multiple it? Isn't that sort of impossible?"

Turtle retrieved a boring looking set of bowls and set them down before everyone.He set the skyfire into the bowl and nervously chanted a sentence, "Twice as much, please."

There was a sizzle and a pop and another chunk of skyfire appeared in the other bowl, identical to Turtle's.
Turtle picked up his, clicking it into his bracelet. "See? Now I just do that until I have enough for everyone."

Everyone watched in amazing as he made more.Then he handed them out to his friends. "So...That's my secret.
I'm an animus."Turtle murmured softly, watching for their reaction.

"Wow, you're magic!"Kinkajou giggled excitedly, grasping a piece of skyfire and putting it in her pouch.The others did the same, and Qibli noticed Moon looked a lot more relaxed already.

"Much better,"Moon sighed. "Nice peace and quiet."

Winter blinked hard. "Is there anyone else who has a secret they should tell us? We've got an animus and a mind-reader...Anything else to add?"

"I'm secretly evil."Kinkajou grinned, and Moon, Turtle, and Qibli all burst out laughing.Kinkajou huffed. "What, it's true! Okay, we'll, maybe it's not, but still! I could be evil!"

"Yeah and Winter can be cheerful."
Turtle rolled his eyes affectionately.

"Hey! I can!"Winter snorted, upset face matching Kinkajou's perfectly.

"Sure, sure."Qibli chuckled. "You're not even nice to me, Winter."

"That is not true, Qibli!"Winter blushed. "I am SO nice to you.You just don't know what kindness looks like."

"Come on guys, let's go enjoy this wonderful day."Moon smiled. "Now that we're all honest with each other."

***
I crept after the group of dragonets, talons landing lightly on the ground.
I followed at a decent length away, for if I was caught, it would be the end of the line for me.They joked around and acted all happy, oblivious to the danger that lay just behind them.
Oh, they were so stupid it made me smile.Easy prey for Shadowlurker.

She will be pleased with me, I hope.
I can't let her down.Or else she might actually stuff me and put me with the others.And I can't have that.

I nearly got discovered when the overly bright one turned around.She flared her wings and leapt for the tree I was hiding behind.I held my breath and held still for a few moments.She grabbed a mushroom from in front of the tree, then ran back to her Winglet.

"That was close."I whispered to myself, continuing to follow them.
They were noisy and easy to track.
If I lost sight of them, I could easily follow the sound of annoyingly happy laughter and joyful chatting.

Where are they even going? I doubt they even know.But Shadowlurker needs to know these things, for some dumb reason.Why can't she just do this herself if she's so fascinated in them? Why hire me to do it?

As I paused in a bush while the dragonets ate some fruit, I saw the ghostly brown RainWing dragonet watching them from afar.He looked sad, and I was slightly curious as to why.I approached him quietly, clearing my throat when I reached him.He glanced at me, not surprised.

"Hey."he mumbled, narrowing his eyes at Winter, who was chatting with Qibli quietly.

"What's up? Who're you? I've seen you following them a lot lately."I asked him, and he stared at me for a long moment.

"How can you see me? Only Sundrop can see me."he whispered, curious.

"I don't know.I can see ghosts for some reason."I shrugged. "But that's not important.Answer my questions."

"My name is Twiggy, and I am Sundrop's best friend.I'm following them because they are my last connection to her.I sometimes hear Qibli or Winter mumble her name.
It makes me happy knowing she isn't gone forever.I miss her."

"Oh...Where did she go?"I frowned, watching the Winglet stand up and start to make their way back to the school.

"She went back to be with her real family.I believe they're in the sky somewhere, in a castle, but I'm not good at flying and I don't know how to find her."Twiggy explained.

"Hmm, you give up easily."I snorted, glaring lightly at him. "You clearly don't love her then."

"No, I do,"Twiggy sighed. "And I'll get back to her, I know it will.Now I better get going, creepy dude."

"Hey!"I protested, not liking that nickname. "I am not creepy!"

"You kind of are."Twiggy sighed. "You're sneaking around watching my friends when they don't know you're there.Sounds like a murder psycho to me."

"Whatever."I snapped, whirling around and disappearing into the bush.Who cares what a stupid RainWing thinks. Not me.