Chapter 7: The Chaotix Go Into Space/ Galactic Gumshoes

Meanwhile, back on Earth, Nelson, Lindsey, and Chuck were gathered once again in front of Chris' portal. "There's no doubt about it," said Chuck, pacing the floor. "Chris built this machine to teleport himself to Sonic's world."

    "Then let's use it to find him," said Nelson. 

    "Unfortunately, Chris seemed to have designed the machine so that nobody but him could be teleported," Chuck replied. 

    "What?" said Nelson, surprised. 

    "Can't you reprogram it?" asked Lindsey, the two parents understandably worried about their son. 

    Chuck shook his head, Lindsey crying into her husband's shoulder. "But there is one thing," said Chuck, typing on a computer. "Even though we can't teleport ourselves, it seems we can use the machine to teleport material objects to Sonic's world."

    Lindsey and Nelson looked up with hope. "Really?" asked Nelson. 

    "Yes," Chuck answered. 
………………………………………………………………………
    On Angel Island, Vanilla was standing alone at the empty Master Emerald altar. "I wonder where Cream and the others are and how they're doing…" she said. "I hope everything's okay."

    Suddenly, there was a bright light where the Master Emerald usually rested. When it died down, there were boxes of stuff. A baseball fell off the pile and came to rest in front of Vanilla, who picked it up. "This looks like–" she said, only to be interrupted by a pile of clothes falling on her.
………………………………………………………………………
    At Team Chaotix's detective office, Vector the Crocodile was resting on the couch when the phone rang. "Charmy, get the phone," he said, feeling groggy from his disrupted sleep. 

    Said bee, who was as tired as the crocodile was, flew down from upstairs. He picked up the phone– and promptly dropped it onto Vector's head, waking him up instantly. "Gahh!" he yelled painfully. "That's not what I meant!"

    "You'd better answer before they hang up," said Charmy.

    "You little…" Vector grumbled as he answered the phone. "I already told you the check's in the mail!"

    "Vector, is that you?" asked Vanilla. 

    Upon hearing her on the other line, Vector instantly dropped his cranky attitude, his cheeks turning red. He'd had a crush on Vanilla for a while because of her kindness and had always wanted to impress her. "Ah! Cream's mother!" he said. "How've you been?"
………………………………………………………………………
    "I'm calling because I need your help," said Vanilla. 

    "My agency's at your service, ma'am!" said Vector eagerly. 

    "I'd like to explain a job to you in person," replied Vanilla. 
………………………………………………………………………
    Vector immediately agreed. "Sure! We'll come over right away!" he said. 

    He hung up the phone, whose cradle was still resting on his sore head. Of course, he totally forgot about that until it came back at him when he hung up. "Ugh!" he grunted.

    Charmy laughed, finding this hilarious, which offended Vector. "What are you laughing at?" he said. 

    At that, Charmy's laughter immediately turned to tears. "Hey, don't cry," said Vector, putting the phone back; it wasn't like he was meant to be harsh or anything. 

    Charmy instantly stopped crying. "Oh. OK," he said, grinning. 

    "Now, where's Espio?" asked Vector.