Chapter 11: Space Fortress Metal Plant/ Station Break-in

After what happened back in the underground caves, Wallflower and Grace began teaching Cosmo self-defense, wanting to make sure that she was better prepared the next time there was a fight going on. But they made sure not to make it too hard on her; she was still a kid after all. Though she was learning fast, she was still struggling with some stuff, which Wallflower understood the most; she knew what it was like, having spent years fighting for what's right back at her home galaxy. But what happened not too long after finding the last two Chaos Emeralds really had the gang on edge. The Metarex were a much tougher enemy than any of them had thought…
………………………………………………………………………
    It all started somewhere out in deep space. In the Crimson Egg, two alternating blips appeared on Eggman's radar. "Haha!" Eggman laughed triumphantly. "Looks like I hit the jewel jackpot. I found 2 Chaos Emeralds!"

    "Hmm, let me think…" said Cubot, counting on his fingers. "We already have 2 Emeralds, and Sonic has 3 more…"

    "Plus these two equal 7," added Orbot. "All the Chaos Emeralds have been found! You are brilliant, Doctor!"

    "Yes, I know," said Eggman, getting a little prideful. 

    "Don't pat yourself on your back yet," said Rouge suddenly, appearing from behind him. 

    Eggman immediately covered the radar screen, startled. "Rouge!" he exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

    "Just having a little look-see around," Rouge answered casually. 

    "Hold on!" said Eggman desperately as Rouge slowly moved Eggman's hands, revealing the radar. 

    "Doctor," she said, "have you found some Emeralds?"

    How did she find out? Simple answer: Bokkun, who was shivering in fright. "I hope she doesn't tell Dr. Eggman my secret…" he said quietly, scared as he hid next to the command chair.

    "I wasn't planning to keep my discovery from you," Eggman lied. "I meant to call you up to the bridge. It's just that in all the excitement, I forgot that you were interested in the Chaos Emeralds too. You know how absent-minded we geniuses can be."

    Shadow just looked on impassively, not saying anything. "So… where are they?" asked Rouge. 
………………………………………………………………………
    A giant asteroid-shaped Metarex space station was floating in the midst of an asteroid field. The Crimson Egg was hiding behind an asteroid nearby. "There are 2 Chaos Emeralds inside that Space fortress," said Eggman. "We've got to seize them! Once I have everything, the fate of the whole world will change."

    "But how, Doctor?" asked Cubot. 

    "That is a Metarex base," added Orbot. "It will have a heavy-duty security system!"

    "How do you plan to get in there?" asked Rouge. "It's not like you can go up and knock on the door. If they spot us, we'll be space toast."

    Looking out the window, Eggman happened to notice a familiar-looking spaceship also hiding behind an asteroid not too far from where they were. "What's the Blue Typhoon doing here?" he asked. "They must have come looking for the Chaos Emeralds."

    "You slowpoke!" said Rouge. "Sonic's gonna beat ya to them."

    Eggman just glared out the window. Rouge drives me bats, especially when she's right, he thought to himself. What'll I do?
………………………………………………………………………
    At the Blue Typhoon, everyone was faced with the same delima, but for a different reason: they had come across the exact same location earlier. Rainbow was eager to sneak inside and get the Emeralds immediately, but Lightning decided to test the security strength of the base first. To that end, he had pushed a nearby meteorite towards the base. Within seconds, it was destroyed upon firing impact, scaring Lightning enough to have him run back to the ship, shaking all over. Currently, Dorothy was busy with calming him down while the others talked it over. "How do you know you can't break in unless you try?" Knuckles was asking.