The start of summer

Shit.

That's all Regulus could think about. He needed to think of a way to save him. To trade places, anything.

He didn't enter his dorm until he knew his face wasn't too red, knowing James would still be up and waiting since he thought he'd need comfort after talking to his brother.

"James."

Barty and Evan were fast asleep somehow, Regulus didn't care about that right now.

"Reggie? What happened? Are you oka-"

And he broke down crying again. James rushed to his side immediately.

"Let's go.."

Whenever they wanted some more privacy they'd sleep in the astronomy tower but in a hidden corner not many knew about. So that's where they headed.

"Tell me what happened."

Regulus didn't care Sirius didn't want him to know. He told James everything.

"He went back to that house? To her?"

"To take my place. We need to do something." And the tears kept on coming.

"Oh Reggie.." James hugged Regulus to him, not wanting him to see his own tears.

James had planned to take them both with him and to keep them both safe. But now Sirius was probably with his mother.

"We won't be able to achieve anything like this. We need to calm down and rest first."

The two of them didn't sleep for a long time. They didn't speak further, just holding each other to make sure they don't lose another person they love.

In the morning they finished packing their last bits since everyone was going home today. In the great hall they found Remus looking panicked.

"He left didn't he?" Remus looked sick.

"Back to her." James could barely say the words.

Remus knew about the letters but not everything. He just knew Sirius too well. He knew Sirius felt like this was the right decision.

"We'll think of a rescue plan once we get home." Remus and Regulus we're both staying with James. James had made plans for both black brothers to go with him but things changed.

Barty and Evan had no clue what was going on but didn't question it just yet.

The train ride home was silent. Evan was asleep on Bartys shoulder and Barty was half asleep already too. Somehow the train ride went by quicker too.

Once they reached the station they said good bye and went to find Effie. The most wonderful woman you could ever imagine.

"Mum!"

"James!"

She squeezed her son before turning to see Remus and Regulus.

"Oh Remus dear it's great to see you again. And Regulus is it? It's wonderful to see you."

She hugged each of them and Regulus was tense. He knew James told her he had a boyfriend and she pretty much guessed who it was. He really didn't want mess things up.

"I'm Effie by the way. Monty is back at home, you'll love him. Where's Sirius dear?"

Regulus could feel a tear go down his face.
Euphemia didn't question anyone further and wrapped an arm around Regulus.
They got to the Potters house by flow, the platform having a special fireplace just for that.

"Hello!"
James' dad was waiting right by the fireplace to greet them. He was a cheerful man and just seeing him next to Euphemia made Regulus wish his parents would be that happy.

"No Sirius?" Monty looked to his wife.
She looked to James.

"He went back to her mum. We need to help him.."

Her face softened. To her a lot made sense now, why he was acting up as James had mentioned in his letter and she was terrified.

"You can't go there James. None of you should, let us handle it. For now let's go have some lunch. And then you can show Regulus around."

They were all silent. Lunch was amazing, home made probably made with love too. But all Regulus could think about was his brother.
By the time they finished James guided Regulus around with Remus following. The Potters house was big and spacious but still felt like a cozy comforting environment. All the rooms were brightly decorated, James' room being a bit of an exception. He followed one colour theme (red) but still had a bunch of random items everywhere.

They each had their own rooms there too. So by the time it was night Regulus laid awake alone. Remus had gone to his room a while ago and didn't speak or do much at all.

He was thinking of ways to save his brother. Sirius did things like this often, risky scary things without talking to anyone. Maybe they could have found a solution, he could have heard what Regulus had to say. He didn't know what he wanted in life. He didn't know for certain if he and James would be together forever or anything like that, he had never thought of his future before.

He was always stuck thinking about his past.

That reminded him of the one thing he forgot to pack, the card from his mother. Would that have said that she's office setting him free after all that? He was the one to bandage up Sirius, they were a team. Sirius would fight the battles and Regulus was heal the wounds, but this wasn't possible anymore. Maybe he found comfort in his home because he didn't know better. But Sirius didn't and he needed to get out.

Regulus wanted to turn into his animagus form and run to him. Maybe they'd both stay or maybe Sirius would leave. But he didn't want to leave James.

Would he have to choose between saving his brother or being with James? Because endangering him would be worse than having to leave him.
At that moment he knew what had to be done.

But this was too much to think about right now. Now he needed his boyfriend and his ridiculously tight hugs.

"James?.." he whispered once he reached his room.

He walk to his bed slowly as James sat up.

"Couldn't sleep love? Come here.." he lifted up his blanket and once Regulus was beside him he pulled him into his tight embrace.

"I love you James."

"I love you so much Regulus."

James didn't want to mention being able to feel Regulus' tears hitting his shoulders. Or that he didn't feel at ease as he normally would hugging his boyfriend.

He just enjoyed falling asleep whilst playing his Regulus' hair. He felt his hands resting on his chest along with his head and just for a second everything felt right.

———————
A N
(This was a rather short chapter, sorry)

Hey!
First I appreciate every comment and every vote, knowing people are actually reading my work is incredible. Thank you!
Second there will be a little more angst to come. But I will try to make sure there are plenty of happy things to come too, to balance it all out. ;)

Also I'm quite new to writing (especially when I know others are reading it) so I try to improve with every chapter and value any opinions or suggestions you have!

Thank you for reading this far! Bare with me, there's lots to come and at some point I will go through everything and improve it.