Back to normal

It was December, one of the coldest months to spend in the castle and the Christmas holidays loomed over them all.

For the first time in James' life he didn't want to go home. His parents were acting beyond strange and his house became some type of meeting spot for the good side. He also didn't want to leave Regulus.

He hadnt spoken to him again, having been occupied with Remus and trying to reach Sirius again but he still missed him.

Sirius now spent a lot of his time with Marlene, the only one who seemed to listen. Normally that would have been James but with Remus past his breaking point and the anger he felt, he knew Sirius needed Marlene right now.

He started to focus on school more and he let Marlene be quidditch captain. The only one who seemed truly disappointed was their seeker, Harold but James couldn't do it anymore.

This led to some concern on Mcgonnagalls part, she was always worrying but seeing James' grades drop and then quit being quidditch captain, that was concerning.

"Mr Potter, I understand there must be a lot going on and you might be confident you can solve it on your own, but I'm here to listen."

James just stared holes in the air. He knew his grades weren't great, he was working on that.
Normally he'd be sat here chatting happily with Minnie and trying to sweet-talk his way out of trouble.

"James! You and I both know this is about more than your grades! I already spoke to Remus and Sirius and I have observed you and your relationship with Regulus. So please, make this easier for me and explain." She cared deeply about her students and she always had a soft spot for the marauders, so seeing them hurt, hurt her too.

He looked at her properly, missing the times when he'd be sat in here for detention.

"I don't know what to do anymore."

She urged him to keep going, he took a deep breathe and continued.

"He doesn't want me anymore. And Sirius, he hurt Remus for the second time now and I don't know what to do. Peter, he's not even talking to me anymore!" His voice croaked slightly, maybe it was good to let things out once in a while.

"James Potter. In the six years I've known you, I have never considered you to be any less intelligent than any other student, quite the opposite. Don't make me rethink taht." She spoke sternly, but still managed to make James smile slightly.

"You should talk to him one last time, I'm sure he'll come around." She winked slightly,
"As for Sirius and Remus, they must work it out on their own. But Sirius went through quite a bit, so don't punish him, I'm doing that enough already."
She had a small smile on her lips, James missed that. He knew she was always there to help.

"My parents aren't doing well, are they?" He said, thinking of how they didn't go searching for Sirius and didn't respond to his letters.

"No and as much as I'd love to help there are some far too powerful people involved. But do trust me when I say that I am handling it. Hopefully all will be well before the holidays start."

He gave her a smile, it was amazing knowing he had her on his side.

"I missed this Minnie!"

She smiled.

"Now that that's settled, how're you Minnie? Those new first years must be sooo-"

"That's enough for one day Mr Potter, out you go!"

He smiled and left but not before walking over to her and giving her a hug. She was surprised but still hugged back.

And James was back on track!