Chapter Sixty-Three: Back to School

"I can't believe you did that." Amanda sighs, watching the herpetological center take the trash bag concealing a snake Kreese had been so kind to put in their showroom.
"It's no big deal. I knew it wasn't going to hurt me if it bit me. I've dealt with snakes before in Taos. We used to get a few every year because of how close we were to the mountains." Cal shrugs.
"Still, thank you. If it weren't for you I think Anoush might have actually lost his head." Amanda chuckles.
"He'll be okay... you want to tell me why there's a snake in the showroom?"
"Kreese, actually."
"Seems like a bit of an escalation."
"Yeah, I'll say." Amanda scoffs, rubbing her forehead.
Cal smiles, putting her hand on the older woman's shoulder, "It'll be all right. If I'm not here and a snake is, just give me a call." Cal shrugs, watching Amanda nod and offer a small smile back.

"There's something we actually have to tell you." Amanda says softly, grabbing Daniel and bringing them both into the office.
"Cal, the school has asked for you to return to classes in person or transfer full time to an online school." Amanda explains.
"Whatever your decision we will support you, but those are the two options." Daniel assures her.

Cal sighs, shaking her head, "How will I get around?"
"They have an elevator and we spoke to your doctors they said you can go in a wheelchair, or have crutches, or a scooter thing?" Amanda looks to Daniel for clarification.
"It's a type of walker, just with a knee pad." Cal says, knowing what she was referring to, "I've had to use one before."
"Is that something you're okay with?"
"I don't really have a choice do I?" Cal sighs.
"We're really sorry honey. And we will be paying for your mode of transportation and your physical therapy."
"Thank you, but I'd rather not have any debts."
"No debts. It's the least we can do." Daniel butts in quickly.
Cal squints her eyes at the man before giving a nod, "Okay, uh thank you then."
"You're welcome." Daniel smiles.

-

Cal and Sam walk down the steps, coming around the bend to find Daniel and Amanda at the kitchen table, looking like they're about to be scolded.

"Morning honey. Morning Cal."
"Why don't you two have a seat?" Cal and Sam share an awkward glance before slowly sitting down as Daniel drones on, "I brewed up some of that tea that I brought back from Okinawa." Daniel pours them both some tea.
"You guys are being weird. What's going on?" Sam questions.
"Well, your mom and I have been talking about how to deal with Cobra Kai."
"You have." Sam takes Cal's hand underneath the table nervously.

"I'm sorry I got so upset with you two for training the other kids. I didn't realize what you were dealing with. Your dad and I are trying to handle it, but—"
"With everything you're going through at school with those bullies, and with Cal now being unable to do karate for some time, we want to make sure you both know how to defend yourselves."

"So, what are you saying?"
"Your dad's gonna reopen Miyagi-Do. And I'm 100% on board."
"So, what do you say? Ready to get back into action?"
"No." Sam states softly, pushing back her chair and swiftly walking away.
Daniel rushes over to Sam's retreating form, "Sam! Sam! Hey, wait." Sam turns around, "What's going on?"
"I'm not doing karate anymore, okay?" She states tersely, rushing off.

"Cal?" Daniel asks, looking back to the remaining girl.
"I won't be able to do much."
"Do whatever you can. We just want to keep you healthy. Now we spoke to your PT and they said the kata should be safe for you but no kicks. You'll do your PT and then if you feel up to it, you'll do Miyagi-Do, but only what you feel comfortable with."
Cal nods, thinking it over before she looks back to the hopeful eyes of Amanda and Daniel. She sighs, nodding a final time, "Okay." Daniel smiles as she gets up hastily, going to leave before turning back, "Give Sam some time. She just doesn't feel able right now, but that could change." The two adults nod, offering Cal another smile before she turns and heads into the garage.