chapter 2 | holding place

Gemma POV

Gemma POV

A gust of wind swept the room, listening to the front door entrance bounce off the spring stopper. "Gemma." Quinn's careful sound bounces off the walls through the home. He found my empty shell of a body incapable of turning with the world on the sofa, kneeling in my presence. "Hey, what happened?" He attempted to bring me to talk, but I could not respond. I couldn't get past how this universe decided to devour my soul.

Things happen for a reason, but what is the reason for death away from a loved one? "Come on, let's leave before our parents show." He lifts me into a cradle position, and the house entrance opens again.

"Gemma!" My mom's voice blared, finding us shortly after in the living room. "Thank God you are alright." With a feeble glance, I see her holding her chest. Then I saw John standing behind, giving me a sickening stare, proving he didn't give a damn about what he had done. The rage creeps in, electrifying through my body as a thunderbolt.

"YOU!" I conjure up the energy, screeching throughout the home. I shoved Quinn off and charged him, swinging. "How could you?" I had an outburst bass in my voice of pouring anger filling up my glass.

"Gemma, stop this!" Gwen wrapped around my waist, dragging out of the commotion. Overpowering her attempts, shoving her off. I was jabbing his chest, yanking on his collar, scratching his neck like a wildcat.

"Calm down!" My father blocked, capturing my wrist as my brother towed me from him, playing tug of war with my body, except I'm the one who is drawing to attack the lying backstabber.

"Why would you do this? Screw you." Quinn tore me elsewhere, carrying me over his shoulder, but I kicked and twisted my torso to break loose. He lurched out of the house, lifting my wild movements as I tussled with him to get to John. "I'll kill him. I'll kill-" tossed in the backseat. The door slammed behind as I sobbed, and he vaulted into the driver's chair through the open window.

"We're going back to Telluride." he speeds away, and with this anger of hopelessness, I turn to the poor seats, booting it with force, getting crazier by the second, spasming out.

"Why would he do this?" My energy drained, bawling like a toddler, resting my head on the seat, exhausted, staring at the carpet with paper specks and outside leaf crumbs. "He is gone, Quin. He's gone." I choked up, cracking through my words. The disbelief and then the realization that it is real isn't similar to any other pain I have ever experienced, almost out of body how numb I am.

 The disbelief and then the realization that it is real isn't similar to any other pain I have ever experienced, almost out of body how numb I am